- n the act of giving temporary assistance
- n the component of the aerodynamic forces acting on an airfoil that opposes gravity
- n the event of something being raised upward
- n a wave that lifts the surface of the water or ground
- n a powered conveyance that carries skiers up a hill
- n a device worn in a shoe or boot to make the wearer look taller or to correct a shortened leg
- n one of the layers forming the heel of a shoe or boot
- n lifting device consisting of a platform or cage that is raised and lowered mechanically in a vertical shaft in order to move people from one floor to another in a building
- n plastic surgery to remove wrinkles and other signs of aging from your face; an incision is made near the hair line and skin is pulled back and excess tissue is excised
some actresses have more than one face lift
- n transportation of people or goods by air (especially when other means of access are unavailable)
- n a ride in a car
he gave me a lift home
- n the act of raising something
he responded with a lift of his eyebrow
- v raise from a lower to a higher position
- v take hold of something and move it to a different location
lift the box onto the table
- v move upwards
lift one's eyes
- v move upward
The fog lifted
- v make audible
He lifted a war whoop
- v cancel officially
lift an embargo
- v make off with belongings of others
- v raise or haul up with or as if with mechanical help
- v invigorate or heighten
lift my spirits
lift his ego
- v raise in rank or condition
The new law lifted many people from poverty
- v take off or away by decreasing
lift the pressure
- v rise up
- v pay off (a mortgage)
- v take without referencing from someone else's writing or speech; of intellectual property
- v take illegally
- v fly people or goods to or from places not accessible by other means
Food is airlifted into Bosnia
- v take (root crops) out of the ground
- v call to stop the hunt or to retire, as of hunting dogs
- v rise upward, as from pressure or moisture
The floor is lifting slowly
- v put an end to
lift a ban
- v remove (hair) by scalping
- v remove from a seedbed or from a nursery
lift the tulip bulbs
- v remove from a surface
the detective carefully lifted some fingerprints from the table
- v perform cosmetic surgery on someone's face
- When the new TB drug, isoniazid, was first used (PTI, March 3), doctors noticed that some patients seemed to get a tremendous lift: they felt wonderful, out of all proportion to .
- Moscow this week announced that it was willing to lift the Berlin blockadeat a price.
- Mike Powell Corbis During a brutal recession, you'd think a $90 lift ticket and two nights at a lodge would be a luxury.
News & Articles
- ADA Compliant Portable Pool Lift Designed by Spectrum Aquatics Now Offered by Rehabmart.com
Featuring a robust operating system, their ADA compliant Portable Freedom Pool Lift is battery powered and self-operable from both the water and deck. Highlighting a 300 pound lifting capacity, the Portable Freedom does not require an anchor and is instead mounted on an easily moved and weighted base. (PRWeb June 15, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/pool_lift/ada ...
June 15, 2013 - PRWeb
- Disturbance Near Lift Bridge, 4 Juveniles Arrested
Duluth Police responded to what they are classifying as a "disturbance" near the Aerial Lift Bridge Thursday.
June 14, 2013 - WDIO Duluth
- Project Lift Completes Year one
Project Lift just completed its first year of implementation. The program will get more than $55 million over the next five years from the community.
June 12, 2013 - WBTV Charlotte
- Barack Obama in Enterprise-Record
I know that it is a heavy lift to do something as substantial as we're doing right now,Obama said. "I recognize that there are still some differences around the table and between the administration and members of Congress about particular...
- John Negroponte in FOXNews
I urged the government to stop such actions, lift the state of emergency and release all political detainees,Negroponte said at a news conference at the heavily guarded US Embassy at the end of his visit. "Emergency rule is not compatible...
- Al Gore in Reuters
We face a true planetary emergency. The climate crisis is not a political issue, it is a moral and spiritual challenge to all of humanity. It is also our greatest opportunity to lift global consciousness to a higher level,Gore said in a...