- n the act of upsetting something
- n an improbable and unexpected victory
- v turn from an upright or normal position
The big vase overturned
- v cause to overturn from an upright or normal position
- v rule against
- v cause the downfall of; of rulers
- v cancel officially
- v change radically
- They voted to overturn the challenged governmental action in about 1 out of every 6 constitutional cases.
- She earned a law degree in 1978 and managed in the mid-1980s to overturn a death sentence against a blind woman who was gang-raped and then, grotesquely, charged with adultery.
- The Supreme Court, in a case that arose from a film attacking Hillary Clinton, wrestled on Wednesday with whether to overturn prohibitions on political campaign spending by .
News & Articles
- 2 local leaders want to overturn city's new budget
Two city councilmen want state Republicans to overturn the city’s new budget. They wrote a letter against the 7 percent property tax. Councilman Warren Cooksey and Councilman Andy Dulin sent a letter to House Speaker Thom Tillis and the entire Republican caucus asking the state to intervene in the tax increase. They admit their request is slightly absurd, but argue that if the state doesn’t get ...
June 13, 2013 - WSOC-TV Charlotte
- US Dollar, S&P 500 Threaten to Overturn Multi-Month Rising Trends
US Dollar, S&P 500 Threaten to Overturn Multi-Month Rising Trends
June 13, 2013 - DailyFX via Yahoo! Finance
- Supreme Court overturn part of port of Los Angeles' anti-smog program
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court has overturned part of the anti-smog program at the Port of Los Angeles. The port tried to restrict the types of trucks that can haul goods in and out of its terminals. But justices voted unanimously Thursday to strike down part of the port's Clean Trucks Program.
June 13, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Raul Grijalva in Progressive.org
We're going to overturn this unjust and racist law,he told an April 25 rally at the state capitol in Phoenix, "and then we're going to overturn the power structure that created this unjust, racist law."
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
My strong belief is that if we end up with the most states and the most pledged delegates, and the most voters in the country, then it would be problematic for political insiders to overturn the judgment of the voters,Obama said recently.
- President Bush in International Herald Tribune
I am disappointed the leadership of Congress recycled an old bill that would simply overturn our country's carefully balanced policy on embryonic stem cell research,Bush said in a statement.