- n the termination of a ruler or institution (especially by force)
- n the act of disturbing the mind or body
she was unprepared for this sudden overthrow of their normal way of living
- v cause the downfall of; of rulers
The Czar was overthrown
- v rule against
- If the people strolling the streets of Laos' sleepy capital, Vientiane, were worried about a violent overthrow of their government, they weren't showing their alarm.
- Designating an overthrow as .
- Iran is insisting on the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, payment of enormous reparations by Iraq or its Arab allies, repatriation to Iraq of about 100,000 Iraqi Shi'ite Muslim .
News & Articles
- Kuwaiti Teacher Sentenced to 11 Years in Prison After Calling for Ruler's Overthrow on Twitter
Kuwaiti teacher, Huda al-Ajmi, who called for the overthrow of Kuawait’s leader on Twitter, was sentenced to 11 years in jail on Monday. Ajmi's punishment is the harshest for online opposition in Kuwait thus far. “This is the highest sentence of its kind in these kinds of cases,” one source said. The exact tweet has yet to be released. Ajmi was convicted of insulting Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al ...
June 11, 2013 - Opposing Views
- Riots in Turkey Roil Markets and Could Damage Global Recovery
Istanbul, Turkey is erupting in riots, and this could be the biggest nation yet to attempt to overthrow its government.
June 11, 2013 - The Motley Fool
- Can the US arm the 'right' side in Syrian conflict?
As top Obama administration officials huddle this week to possibly decide whether to lethally arm Syrian rebels trying to overthrow that country's government, they also must deal with the issue of whether any of the opposition forces can be trusted.
June 10, 2013 - Fox News
- Barack Obama in NY1
We must deny al-Qaeda a safe haven. We must reverse the Taliban's momentum and deny it the ability to overthrow the government,said Obama. "And we must strengthen the capacity of Afghanistan's security forces and government, so that they...
- Condoleezza Rice in ABC News
For her part, Rice said: "This is not 1968 and the invasion of Czechoslovakia where Russia can threaten a neighbor, occupy a capital, overthrow a government and get away with it. Things have changed."
- CC Sabathia in SI.com
I didn't even give us a chance the other day,Sabathia said. "I look to stay calm and stay in control and not try to overthrow and do so much and I think I'll be fine."