- n a painful or straitened circumstance
the pinch of the recession
- n an injury resulting from getting some body part squeezed
- n a slight but appreciable amount
- n a sudden unforeseen crisis (usually involving danger) that requires immediate action
- n a small sharp bite or snip
- n a squeeze with the fingers
- n the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal)
- v squeeze tightly between the fingers
He pinched her behind
- v make ridges into by pinching together
- v make off with belongings of others
- v cut the top off
- v irritate as if by a nip, pinch, or tear
the pain is as if sharp points pinch your back
- After all the worry about materials shortages, it looked last week as if the businessman's worst pinch would be in manpower.
- For it was the game's best reliever, Oakland's Dennis Eckersley, protecting a one-run lead with a runner on against the Dodgers' ailing MVP, Kirk Gibson, who volunteered to pinch .
- As businessmen had expected, rubber last week became the first civilian item to feel the pinch of war.
News & Articles
- Ross' pinch-hit home run leads Diamondbacks past Marlins
Cody Ross hit a three-run, pinch-hit home run in the eighth inning to spoil an outstanding outing by Miami's young Jose Fernandez, and the Arizona Diamondbacks held off the Marlins 3-1 Wednesday.
June 20, 2013 - CBS Sports
- National League: Pinch-hits by Blanco, Ross win for Giants, Diamondbacks
Gregor Blanco hit a pinch-hit, two-run triple in the seventh inning Wednesday, leading the San Francisco Giants to a 4-2 win over the San Diego Padres.
June 20, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- Blanco Pinch-Hit Triple Leads Giants Over Padres 4-2
Gregor Blanco had a pinch hit, two-run triple in the seventh inning, leading the San Francisco Giants to a 4-2 victory over the San Diego Padres on Wednesday.
June 19, 2013 - CBS San Francisco
- Prince Harry in The Associated Press
Harry said it was "a bit of a pinch yourself moment" to stand on the flight deck of the Intrepid, a historic aircraft carrier docked on Manhattan's West Side.
- Mike Lowell in MLB.com
When Jacoby and Cam come back, I just don't really know what my role is,Lowell said. "With those two in the lineup, I don't know who would I hit for. When I hit, I get pinch-run for. I don't play defense."
- David Petraeus in FayObserver.com
You have to pinch yourself a little to make sure that is real because that is a very significant development in this kind of operation in counterinsurgency,Petraeus said. "It's all about the local people. When all the sudden the local...