catch : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a drawback or difficulty that is not readily evident
it sounds good but what's the catch?
- n the quantity that was caught
the catch was only 10 fish
- n a person regarded as a good matrimonial prospect
- n anything that is caught (especially if it is worth catching)
he shared his catch with the others
- n a break or check in the voice (usually a sign of strong emotion)
- n a restraint that checks the motion of something
- n a fastener that fastens or locks a door or window
- n a cooperative game in which a ball is passed back and forth
he played catch with his son in the backyard
- n the act of catching an object with the hands
Mays made the catch with his back to the plate
- n the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal)
- v discover or come upon accidentally, suddenly, or unexpectedly; catch somebody doing something or in a certain state
- v perceive with the senses quickly, suddenly, or momentarily
ears open to catch every sound
- v reach with a blow or hit in a particular spot
- v take hold of so as to seize or restrain or stop the motion of
- v succeed in catching or seizing, especially after a chase
Did you catch the thief?
- v to hook or entangle
- v attract and fix
- v capture as if by hunting, snaring, or trapping
- v reach in time
I have to catch a train at 7 o'clock
- v get or regain something necessary, usually quickly or briefly
catch one's breath
- v catch up with and possibly overtake
- v be struck or affected by
catch the mood
- v check oneself during an action
She managed to catch herself before telling her boss what was on her mind
- v hear, usually without the knowledge of the speakers
- v see or watch
- v cause to become accidentally or suddenly caught, ensnared, or entangled
- v detect a blunder or misstep
- v grasp with the mind or develop an understanding of
did you catch that allusion?
don't catch your meaning
- v contract
did you catch a cold?
- v start burning
- v perceive by hearing
I didn't catch your name
- v suffer from the receipt of
She will catch hell for this behavior!
- v attract; cause to be enamored
- v apprehend and reproduce accurately
- v take in and retain
We have a big barrel to catch the rainwater
- v spread or be communicated
The fashion did not catch
- v be the catcher
Who is catching?
- v become aware of
- v delay or hold up; prevent from proceeding on schedule or as planned
- Like how to catch beetles.
- Lowering catch limits further also benefits the marine ecosystem as a whole, maintaining biodiversity, rather than turning the oceans into a giant fish farm.
- Scottish fisherman Mike Nichol on board the trawler Carina in the North Atlantic helps haul in the catch.
News & Articles
- CATCH OF THE DAY: Twins' ball boy recalls saving fan from foul ball
Nearly every MLB game involves a great catch or two, but the one that stole the show at Target Field on Thursday afternoon was made by someone who wasn't even on the playing field.
June 21, 2013 - FOX 9 News Twin Cities
- AMAZING: Men Catch 2 Year Old Falling From 5th Floor
CHINA: these delivery men were at the right place at the right time, as they make it to catch 2 year old little girl dangling from the balcony of a 5th floor room. …
June 21, 2013 - Nightcap TV
- Popular Mobile Consumer Note-Taking App "Catch" Allies With Samsung, Citrix, Unveils "Catch Team" for the Enterprise
Catch.com, Inc., developer of Catch Notes, a top-rated consumer app for collaborative, mobile note-taking used by more than three million consumers -- today announced Catch Team, an intuitive, enterprise-ready ...
June 19, 2013 - Marketwired via Yahoo! Finance
- Phil Mickelson in FanHouse
Well, obviously Graeme played some incredible golf,Mickelson said. "I didn't see it I was in front trying to catch him, but I think what happened -- Dustin Johnson's one of the best players in the game, and this course he had a tough time...
- Tony La Russa in The Associated Press
I think he's has pressed to make that deal look good, but he's settling in,Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "When you sign a deal like that you're going to catch some extra attention, that's just the way it is. He's shown a lot of...
- Barack Obama in New York Times
I think that the FDA has not been able to catch some of these things as quickly as I expect them to catch,Mr. Obama said in an interview on the "Today" show.