match : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n lighter consisting of a thin piece of wood or cardboard tipped with combustible chemical; ignites with friction
he always carries matches to light his pipe
- n a formal contest in which two or more persons or teams compete
- n a burning piece of wood or cardboard
if you drop a match in there the whole place will explode
- n an exact duplicate
when a match is found an entry is made in the notebook
- n the score needed to win a match
- n a person regarded as a good matrimonial prospect
- n a person who is of equal standing with another in a group
- n a pair of people who live together
- n something that resembles or harmonizes with
that tie makes a good match with your jacket
- v be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun
- v provide funds complementary to
The company matched the employees' contributions
- v bring two objects, ideas, or people together
Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?
- v be equal to in quality or ability
Her persistence and ambition only matches that of her parents
- v make correspond or harmonize
- v satisfy or fulfill
this job doesn't match my dreams
- v give or join in marriage
- v set into opposition or rivalry
let them match their best athletes against ours
- v be equal or harmonize
The two pieces match
- v make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching
The company matched the discount policy of its competitors
- Win, lose or tie, the Bara-Madrid match is perhaps not the most telling example of Catalan nationalism's strange intermingling of sports and politics.
- As the traditional adversaries face each other in a World Cup match, their presidents seek to effect a thaw.
- Rumors of match-fixing have been circulating for years, and the stories proliferated in the 1990s as the fast-paced, one-day version of the game made it .
News & Articles
- Parents can’t match grandparents’ money gifts
Adapted from a recent online discussion. My parents asked us to match their contributions to our children’s savings accounts. While this is well-intentioned advice, we are focusing (in our early 30s) on shoring up our retirement reserves and paying down debt.
June 22, 2013 - Seattle Times
- EDGA Match Play tourney begins Friday at Lake View
The 41st EDGA Match Play Championship opens Friday at Lake View Country Club, with 81 players entered.
June 20, 2013 - Erie Times-News
- Match.com Introduces Offline Game Nights
DALLAS, June 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Match.com is playing for keeps! Today, the website is kicking off a 25 market Stir Game Night series by partnering with seven board game manufacturers to provide singles ...
June 19, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Bert van Marwijk in The Associated Press
We have been messy,Van Marwijk said. "We've had spells with brilliant attacks, yet we forgot to score. That though, can change within a match."
- Oscar Tabarez in USA Today
From minute one he had a problem,coach Oscar Tabarez said. "I'm not dumb enough to take him out at 3-1 when the match wasn't lost. He was injured and could not continue."
- Bastian Schweinsteiger in The Associated Press
The shootout is still in our memory, but what really weighs heavily on our minds is what happened after that match,Schweinsteiger said Wednesday. "We have to remain calm and not get provoked and I hope the referee will be very alert. You...