hook : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a catch for locking a door
- n a sharp curve or crook; a shape resembling a hook
- n anything that serves as an enticement
- n a mechanical device that is curved or bent to suspend or hold or pull something
- n a curved or bent implement for suspending or pulling something
- n a golf shot that curves to the left for a right-handed golfer
he took lessons to cure his hooking
- n a short swinging punch delivered from the side with the elbow bent
- n a basketball shot made over the head with the hand that is farther from the basket
- v fasten with a hook
- v rip off; ask an unreasonable price
- v make a piece of needlework by interlocking and looping thread with a hooked needle
- v hit a ball and put a spin on it so that it travels to the left
- v take by theft
- v make off with belongings of others
- v hit with a hook
His opponent hooked him badly
- v catch with a hook
hook a fish
- v to cause (someone or oneself) to become dependent (on something, especially a narcotic drug)
- v secure with the foot
hook the ball
- v entice and trap
- v approach with an offer of sexual favors
- No, they're not going to hook up.
- They ripped off the best bits of Franz Ferdinand and the Strokes-speed, swagger and hooks upon hooks-but instead of hipster navel gazing, Arctic Monkeys' singer Alex Turner looked .
- Remember in 2004 when John Kerry got ridiculed for his awkward duck-hunting trip in Ohio just before the election? Theres a good reason why Kerry went hunting: the hook and .
News & Articles
- Sandy Hook families waiting for funds
There's controversy surrounding the distribution of funds donated to the families of the Sandy Hook Massacre victims
June 19, 2013 - WWLP Springfield
- Report: Almost all Sandy Hook massacre victims died of multiple gunshot wounds
24 of the 26 students and staffers killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre last December died of multiple gunshot wounds, according to a new report in the New York Post . Death certificates released Tuesday to the Post revealed …
June 18, 2013 - WPIX 11 New York
- Ulster County Cooperative Extension plans field day at Red Hook farm
RED HOOK, N.Y. — Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ulster County will host a field day program, “Reinventing the Hudson Valley Breadbasket,” from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday, June 24, at Migliorelli Farm, Red Hook.
June 18, 2013 - Kingston Daily Freeman
- Tiger Wood in Philadelphia Inquirer
These are not things I normally do,Woods said of the bad shots. "So I'm not going to be smiling, and I'm not going to be happy. I hit a low quack hook on 5. So I hadn't hit a good shot yet. I'm not going to be walking around there with a...
- Barack Obama in BusinessWeek
This maneuver threatens to leave taxpayers, rather than the oil companies, on the hook for future disasters like the BP oil spill,Obama said in a statement. "I urge the Senate Republicans to stop playing special interest politics and join...
- George Steinbrenner in ESPN
He's on a big hook,a spirited Steinbrenner told The Associated Press in a rare interview from this Tampa office. "He wanted sole authority. He got it. Now he's got to deliver."