- n large strong hand (as of a fighter)
wait till I get my hooks on him
- n a catch for locking a door
- n a sharp curve or crook; a shape resembling a hook
- n anything that serves as an enticement
- n a mechanical device that is curved or bent to suspend or hold or pull something
- n a curved or bent implement for suspending or pulling something
- n a golf shot that curves to the left for a right-handed golfer
- n a short swinging punch delivered from the side with the elbow bent
- n a basketball shot made over the head with the hand that is farther from the basket
- v fasten with a hook
- v rip off; ask an unreasonable price
- v make a piece of needlework by interlocking and looping thread with a hooked needle
- v hit a ball and put a spin on it so that it travels to the left
- v take by theft
- v make off with belongings of others
- v hit with a hook
- v catch with a hook
- v to cause (someone or oneself) to become dependent (on something, especially a narcotic drug)
- v secure with the foot
- v entice and trap
- v approach with an offer of sexual favors
- They ripped off the best bits of Franz Ferdinand and the Strokes-speed, swagger and hooks upon hooks-but instead of hipster navel gazing, Arctic Monkeys' singer Alex Turner looked .
- In the new style triangular instead of round the hooks are gone.
News & Articles
- RoughRiders top Hooks in pitchers' duel
One inning and one hit proved to be the Hooks' undoing Thursday night in Frisco.
June 21, 2013 - Corpus Christi Caller-Times
- Hooks give up 16 hits in loss to Missions
No matter how potent or timely the Hooks’ offense might be, one thing is certain: A team is going to have a tough time winning when the other team unleashes more might at the plate.
June 19, 2013 - Corpus Christi Caller-Times
- Hooks end first half with third straight loss
The Hooks' offense fared better Monday night, but they couldn't take full advantage of the opportunities they were presented.
June 18, 2013 - Corpus Christi Caller-Times
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
Our national life is richer for the time Dr. Hooks spent on this earth,President Barack Obama said in a statement. "And our union is more perfect for the way he spent it: Giving a voice to the voiceless."
- the RZA in Post Chronicle
Rza tells AllHipHop.com, "It's like when we first started with Steve. We put out real hip-hop at a time when it was turning into pop or R&B. We brought the focus back to the music in its rawest form, without studio polish or radio hooks. People want...
- David Paterson in Globe and Mail
Mr. Hooks reminded a generation of men and women that the fight for equality never ends, inspiring them to challenge discrimination through advancement and success,Paterson said.