- n anything that resembles a feather in shape or lightness
a plume of smoke
grass with large plumes
- n a feather or cluster of feathers worn as an ornament
- n the light horny waterproof structure forming the external covering of birds
- v rip off; ask an unreasonable price
- v be proud of
- v deck with a plume
a plumed helmet
- v clean with one's bill
- v form a plume
- v dress or groom with elaborate care
- The jet exploded, sending a geyser of water 200 feet into the air, followed by a plume of funereally black smoke.
- Then a silent plume of colorless gas shot up from the turbulent depths of Lake Nios, just inside Cameroon's northwest border.
- The fireball turned into a plume of black smoke, and Campbell watched in horror as a huge DC-9 airliner dropped its nose and rolled to its left.
News & Articles
- Jaroso Fire grows to 6,000 acres
The Jaroso Fire burning in the Pecos Wilderness east of Española exploded on Tuesday, and, right now, there's nothing anyone can do about it. The fire was reported at 6,000 acres Tuesday night, having steadily grown throughout the day. It sent a huge, anvil-shaped plume that loomed over Santa Fe.
June 12, 2013 - Albuquerque Journal
- Video/Photos: East Valley fire chars 7,000 acres
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 14:53:29 GMT By David Lester YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC Photos by ANDY SAWYER/Yakima Herald-Republic A fast-moving, wind-blown fire burns around a home in the East Valley on Friday. The fire burned an estimated 7,000 acres, but property damage was minimal. BELOW: A Department of Natural Resources helicopter flies over a plume of black smoke. MOXEE, Wash. — A fast-moving fire raged ...
June 12, 2013 - Yakima Herald-Republic
- Fire destroys truck in downtown Loveland (updated)
A vehicle fire sent a plume of smoke about 2 p.m. Monday in downtown Loveland.
June 10, 2013 - Loveland Reporter-Herald
- Laura Lippman in San Francisco Chronicle
This is the sort of classic story of my household,Lippman said. "A year or two ago, we'd gone out to breakfast. We were coming back, and there was a plume of dark smoke rising somewhere in the east, and my husband followed it." "Who...
- Lawrie McKinna in Sydney Morning Herald
The Mariners, while disappointed, are understanding of the situation with coach Lawrie McKinna saying: "We can play at Plume Park in Gosford for all they want as long as we get there and have a chance to win it."