- n the trait of showing courage and determination in spite of possible loss or injury
- n the act of pulling and releasing a taut cord
- v pull or pull out sharply
pluck the flowers off the bush
- v sell something to or obtain something from by energetic and especially underhanded activity
- v rip off; ask an unreasonable price
- v pull lightly but sharply with a plucking motion
he plucked the strings of his mandolin
- v strip of feathers
pluck the capon
- v look for and gather
- Pluck 31 Haji Lane, Singapore 189244 1.
- The book earned lavish critical praise, was turned into a TV mini-series and established a model for how to make senseand artout of the complexity, diversity and pluck that .
- The 1958 British A Night to Remember is still revered for its balance of newsreel realism and humanist pluck.
News & Articles
- Morgan conjures the past with a poet skill
Robert Morgan has a rare and cunning gift: he can sift through the detritus of the past, pluck objects and images from his memory (especially his childhood) and elevate them to the point where they become — in the sense that Joseph Campbell uses the word — “numinous.”
June 12, 2013 - Smoky Mountain News
- Dramatic river rescue in '84 led to swift water rescue training
Despite the warnings to stay out of flooded roadways, trained rescuers pluck people from the rushing water every year. One dramatic rescue 30 years ago on the Canada del Oro Wash in Oro Valley led to
June 12, 2013 - KOLD News 13 Tuscon
- Authorities rescue drunken man from river
DAVENPORT (AP) — A Davenport man faces a public intoxication charge after authorities used a rescue boat to pluck him out of the Mississippi River. Davenport police say 49-year-old Michael Carty was pulled from the river Saturday afternoon near Centennial Park, as families and fishers along the riverbank watched. An arrest affidavit says Carty got into the water at a boat ramp near the Rhythm ...
June 11, 2013 - The Fairfield Ledger
- Dana Perino in Newsday
It will not be a date that you just pluck out of thin air,Perino said. "It will not be something that Americans say, 'We're going to do - we're going to leave at this date,' which is what some have suggested."
- Flip Saunders in Forbes
Fifty wins is not something that is easy to go by. It's not something you just pluck out,Detroit coach Flip Saunders said. "Teams that are at 30 are dying to get to 50. That's kind of become our norm."
- President Bush in ABC News
To pluck out one person who I know and who I've had a conversation with who has very different views than 900 of my friends and then to suggest that somehow that shows that maybe I'm not sufficiently pro-Israel, I think, is a very problematic stand... Barack Obama http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHQ0yfPaaXFGqLKymRgcres0I2nuA CNN http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/29/campaign.wrap/%3Firef%3Dmpstoryview&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEgpZphWcJyU0CumIsD7sKZiKsEEA Oct 29, 2008
75354 101691 plucked Iran must give back the hostages," Bush said. "They're innocent, they did nothing wrong, and they were summarily plucked out of waters."