- n the person or thing chosen or selected
he was my pick for mayor
- n the quantity of a crop that is harvested
he sent the first picking of berries to the market
it was the biggest peach pick in years
- n the best people or things in a group
- n the yarn woven across the warp yarn in weaving
- n a small thin device (of metal or plastic or ivory) used to pluck a stringed instrument
- n a thin sharp implement used for removing unwanted material
he used a pick to clean the dirt out of the cracks
- n a heavy iron tool with a wooden handle and a curved head that is pointed on both ends
they used picks and sledges to break the rocks
- n a basketball maneuver; obstructing an opponent with one's body
he was called for setting an illegal pick
- n the act of choosing or selecting
you can take your pick
- v select carefully from a group
She finally picked her successor
He picked his way carefully
- v look for and gather
- v harass with constant criticism
Don't always pick on your little brother
- v provoke
pick a fight or a quarrel
- v remove in small bits
pick meat from a bone
- v remove unwanted substances from, such as feathers or pits
- v pilfer or rob
- v pay for something
pick up the tab
pick up the burden of high-interest mortgages
- v pull lightly but sharply with a plucking motion
- v attack with or as if with a pickaxe of ice or rocky ground, for example
- v hit lightly with a picking motion
- v eat intermittently; take small bites of
- Given the troubled state of the economy and the near implosion of America's financial industry, the most watched appointment of Barack Obama's cabinet will be his pick to lead the .
- As Barack Obama begins to assess his potential picks for his cabinet, Secretary of Education is not one of the positions you would necessarily expect him to focus on first.
- Such a pick would be aimed not at the party's base but at the pool of independent voters who still aren't comfortable with Obama and are looking all summer for signs that he is .
News & Articles
- Indians, top pick Frazier agree to $3.5 million deal
Indians, top pick Frazier agree to $3.5 million deal
June 15, 2013 - CBS Sports
- Pick of the Week
Pick 'n' Mix Festival The MAC, Belfast Today, until Sunday No, it's not a sweety festival, as you might be led to think but, as the name implies, the same principle is in effect in this mini drama programme.
June 14, 2013 - HispanicBusiness.com
- Pick of the week: Fighting the world’s worst homophobia
Pick of the week: "Call Me Kuchu" is the tragic tale of Ugandan activist David Kato, and a crucial film of our time
June 14, 2013 - Salon.com
- Donnie Walsh in BusinessWeek
We are disappointed that LeBron James did not pick the New York Knicks, but we respect his decision,Walsh said.
- James Patterson in The Associated Press
Patterson says: "If e-books get people who might otherwise not be reading to pick up a book, then that makes me happy."
- Andrew Cuomo in Forbes
By allowing Washington Mutual to hand-pick appraisers who inflated values, First American helped set the current mortgage crisis in motion,Cuomo said.