filling : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n any material that fills a space or container
- n flow into something (as a container)
- n a food mixture used to fill pastry or sandwiches etc.
- n the yarn woven across the warp yarn in weaving
- n (dentistry) a dental appliance consisting of any of various substances (as metal or plastic) inserted into a prepared cavity in a tooth
when he yawned I could see the gold fillings in his teeth
an informal British term for `filling' is `stopping'
- n the act of filling something
- v make full, also in a metaphorical sense
- v become full
- v occupy the whole of
- v assume, as of positions or roles
- v fill or meet a want or need
- v appoint someone to (a position or a job)
- v eat until one is sated
- v fill to satisfaction
- v plug with a substance
- It's the right size 150 filling stations will cover the country it has closed borders, and there is an added incentive: some of the world's top oil producers are unfriendly .
- And yet, despite years of vituperation, most schools keep dutifully filling out the surveys that make these ratings possible.
- All those construction workers with 10 minutes between shifts and those salarymen hunched over their desks at midnight needed something cheap, something filling and, most of all .
News & Articles
- Vacancies on city boards, committees
Mayor Arthur Vigeant is seeking residents interested in filling vacant slots on city boards and committees. There are vacancies on the Board of Assessors, Cable Advisory Committee, Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, Cultural Council, and Historical Commission. Interested residents should send a cover letter and resume to mayoral aide Mike Berry at email@example.com, or to the ...
June 16, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Town issues call for volunteers
There are several vacancies on town boards and committees. Citizens interested in filling one of the volunteer positions can send a letter or e-mail to the Board of Selectmen at firstname.lastname@example.org or Town of Wayland, 41 Cochituate Road, Wayland, MA 01778 by Wednesday. The letter should include a statement of interest and provide information on education and experience. Selectmen will ...
June 16, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Roundtop Filling Station will soon be restored
On Friday morning the Roundtop Filling Station received a $50,000 grant from Gov. Beebe to begin restoration of the historic landmark.
June 14, 2013 - KTHV Little Rock
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
It is a measure of his willingness to put the nation first that he has removed himself as a candidate for the Cabinet in order to avoid any delay in filling this important economic post at this critical time,Obama said in a statement Sunday.
- Michael Phelps in ESPN
My goggles kept filling up with water during the race,Phelps said. "I wanted a world record, I wanted 1:51 or better, but in the circumstances not too bad I guess."
- Vladimir Putin in The Herald
We have pulled out all our heavy weapons from the European part of Russia to behind the Ural Mountains and cut our military by 300,000 men,Putin said. "And what about our partners? They are filling Eastern Europe with new weapons . . . We...