empty : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a container that has been emptied
- v make void or empty of contents
- v become empty or void of its content
- v leave behind empty; move out of
- v remove
- v excrete or discharge from the body
- a holding or containing nothing
an empty glass
an empty room
full of empty seats
- s devoid of significance or point
- s needing nourishment
after skipped lunch the men were empty by suppertime
- s emptied of emotion
after the violent argument he felt empty
- Hardly a good time to be marketing empty office space; commercial real estate firm Atisreal says banking and finance firms are currently taking just 110,000 sq ft (10,200 sq m) of .
- Scientists find an enormous empty swath in space.
- Here's an old bit from a stand-up comic's act: "Some say the glass is half empty.
News & Articles
- Vero Council concerned historic diesel plant still empty
VERO BEACH — The old diesel power plant — the city’s oldest municipal building — sits empty on 19th Place and 12th Court, just off State Road 60 in downtown Vero Beach.
June 21, 2013 - Indian River Press Journal
- Hoffa hunt comes up empty
The search in a field near Detroit for ex-Teamsters boss Jimmy Hoffa ended like all the others -- with the feds walking away empty-handed. FULL STORY
June 20, 2013 - CNN
- Empty out dog dishes, bird baths to avoid West Nile
Empty out dog dishes, bird baths to avoid West Nile Beaumont Enterprise Copyright 2013 Beaumont Enterprise. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 12:28 pm, Tuesday, June 18, 2013 The Jefferson County Mosquito Control District is successfully swatting mosquitoes that could be carrying the West Nile virus while other counties ...
June 19, 2013 - Beaumont Enterprise
- Barack Obama in ABC News
Malia's friend had dropped off an album of the two of them. They've been friends since preschool. I just looked through the pages, the house was empty. It was a little tough,Obama said.
- Marthinus van Schalkwyk in guardian.co.uk
Marthinus van Schalkwyk, South African minister of environmental affairs and tourism, said "As it is expressed in the G8 statement, the long term goal is an empty slogan.To be meaningful and credible, a long term goal must have a base year, it must...
- Kobe Bryant in New York Post
I was on [empty],Bryant said. "Man, I was really, really tired and the more I tried to push, the more it kept getting away from me. I'm just glad my teammates got us back in the game."