hoist : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n lifting device for raising heavy or cumbersome objects
- v raise or haul up with or as if with mechanical help
hoist the bicycle onto the roof of the car
- v move from one place to another by lifting
They hoisted the patient onto the operating table
- v raise
hoist the flags
hoist a sail
- The Berlin Wall: A Pictorial History Soviet soldiers hoist the red flag over the Reichstag in Berlin on April 30, 1945.
- Is there more dignity in having to hoist a full-grown body in harness and chains from bed to bath to wheelchair? Ashley will always have the mind of an infant, and now she will .
- At the Mexico City airport, agents had to drag him from the car and hoist him up the steps to the plane.
News & Articles
- Marines retire flag ceremoniously
On May 25, during Memorial Day weekend members of the Silver City s Marine Corps League Gaffney-Oglesby Detachment 1328 partnered with the Rose Valley RV Ranch to retire their US Flag and hoist the new one provided by them. In accordance with US Flag Protocol the Marine Corps League will respectfully burn the flag along with about 30 others gathered who have become unserviceable.
July 3, 2013 - Silver City Sun-News
- SF Chefs heads to Union Square
SF Chefs is just a few weeks off and preparations are well underway to hoist the Grand Tasting Tent at San Francisco's Union Square. Here's what lies ahead.
July 3, 2013 - Inside Bay Area
- AD: Various Helicopter Models
AD NUMBER: 2013-06-51 PRODUCT: Various model helicopters with certain part-numbered and serial-numbered Goodrich externally-mounted hoists installed.
July 2, 2013 - The Aero-News Network
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Jewish Telegraphic Agency
If Christ was on earth today, undoubtedly he would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over,Ahmadinejad said, according to a transcript of his speech.
- Nicklas Lidstrom in Boston Globe (registration)
It's something I'm very proud of,said Lidstrom. "I've been over here for a long time. I watched Steve Yzerman hoist it three times in the past, and I'm very proud of being the first European. I'm very proud of being a captain of the Red...
- Muqtada al-Sadr in Forbes
In the statement, al-Sadr called on both Sunnis and Shiites to "scorn sectarianism and hoist the banner of unity."