- n (music) a group of notes connected by a slur
- n character consisting of two or more letters combined into one
- n a metal band used to attach a reed to the mouthpiece of a clarinet or saxophone
- n thread used by surgeons to bind a vessel (as to constrict the flow of blood)
- n something used to tie or bind
- n the act of tying or binding things together
- The prosecution's case hung like a thread on the ligature around the mummy's neck.
- Best first-aid treatment is a ligature or tourniquet to isolate the bitten part of the body.
- He was gentle with the babies of visitors and told the Burts of his hope that his wife could have her tubal ligature undone so that they could have more children.
News & Articles
- Homicide victim was strangled, coroner says
A man found dead in his home Sunday died of ligature strangulation, the Montgomery County Coroner's Office said today. Jeffrey Lewis Sr., 54, of Dayton, was found slain in the 1500 block of England Avenue just after 11 a.m. A 911 caller reported finding Lewis lying on his living room floor. He told police officers he was "in fear for his life" less than two months ago, according to reports ...
Nov. 19, 2013 - WHIO-TV 7 Dayton
- Beck in FOXNews
It was apparent that the murder suspect, alone in his cell, had used a piece of his shirt as a makeshift ligature around his neck,Charlie Beck, chief of detectives for the Los Angeles Police Department, said at a news conference Saturday at...
- Marie Cassidy in Irish Independent
State Pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy told the court if Ms Kearney died from hanging, "the scene was disturbed after death or the ligature applied by a third party".
- John Malkovich in Toronto Star
He designed a special knot himself,notes Malkovich, "and it resulted in a ligature so tight that when it was held up during his trial, some people fainted at the sight."