ligation : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (surgery) tying a duct or blood vessel with a ligature (as to prevent bleeding during surgery)
- Unlike some tubal-ligation methods, Essure cannot be reversed.
- The girls were taken to the Professional Center Hospital, kept overnight, and then sterilized next day by tubal ligation.
- She has since studied her options and decided on a tubal ligation: a common procedure, usually performed after delivery, that permanently prevents pregnancy.
News & Articles
- California Prisons Were Illegally Sterilizing Female Inmates
Over the course of several years, two women's prisons in California signed at least 150 pregnant women up for permanent sterilization to be performed after they gave birth, without following the required state approval procedure. And now, some women who underwent the procedure say they felt coerced into having a tubal ligation while incarcerated, according to a report from the Center for ...
July 8, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- Calif. female prisoners sterilized without permission
By Corey G. Johnson, Center for Investigative Reporting Doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sterilized nearly 150 female inmates from 2006 to 2010 without required state approvals, the Center for Investigative Reporting has found. The women received tubal ligations in [...]
July 8, 2013 - Lake Tahoe News
- At Least 150 Women Illegally Sterilized in California's Prisons
California has a dark history of sterilizing at least 20,000 people who were deemed too poor, too drunk, too promiscuous, too criminal or too feebleminded to reproduce between 1909 and 1964. But a recent investigation finds that even in the 21st century, some female inmates are still being pressured to undergo tubal tubal ligation. [ more › ]
July 7, 2013 - LAist