falls : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the petals or sepals of a flower that bend downward (especially the outer perianth of an iris)
- n a steep descent of the water of a river
- n the season when the leaves fall from the trees
- n a sudden drop from an upright position
- n the lapse of mankind into sinfulness because of the sin of Adam and Eve
- n a downward slope or bend
- n a lapse into sin; a loss of innocence or of chastity
- n a sudden decline in strength or number or importance
- n a movement downward
- n the act of surrendering (usually under agreed conditions)
- n the time of day immediately following sunset
- n when a wrestler's shoulders are forced to the mat
- n a free and rapid descent by the force of gravity
- n a sudden sharp decrease in some quantity
- v descend in free fall under the influence of gravity
- v move downward and lower, but not necessarily all the way
- v pass suddenly and passively into a state of body or mind
- v come under, be classified or included
- v fall from clouds
- v suffer defeat, failure, or ruin
- v die, as in battle or in a hunt
- v touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
- v be captured
- v occur at a specified time or place
Christmas falls on a Monday this year
The accent falls on the first syllable
- v decrease in size, extent, or range
- v yield to temptation or sin
- v lose office or power
- v to be given by assignment or distribution
- v move in a specified direction
- v be due
- v lose one's chastity
- v to be given by right or inheritance
- v come into the possession of
- v fall to somebody by assignment or lot
- v be inherited by
- v slope downward
- v lose an upright position suddenly
- v drop oneself to a lower or less erect position
- v fall or flow in a certain way
- v assume a disappointed or sad expression
- v be cast down
- v come out; issue
- v be born, used chiefly of lambs
- v begin vigorously
- v go as if by falling
- v come as if by falling
- The link seems obvious, but a new study is the first to suggest that inner-ear imbalances, which are common among older adults, may be causing many preventable falls.
- The poverty rate falls .
- This year Easter falls on its latest possible date: April 25.
News & Articles
- Falls City library to close
The Falls City School District announced that budget cuts will lead to the closure of Wagner Community Library.
June 18, 2013 - Salem Statesman Journal
- Twin Falls Airport Construction Approved
Twin Falls, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KTWT-TV ) - Monday the Twin Falls city council approved a request to award a construction bid for needed work out at Magic Valley regional airport.
June 18, 2013 - KMVT Twin Falls
- Falls Church Police Investigate Robberies, Assaults
The Falls Church Police Department is looking into a pair of assaults and robberies this weekend, but it is not known if the incidents are related.
June 17, 2013 - NBC Washington
- Steve Jobs in Huffington Post (blog)
Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards - all areas where Flash falls short,Jobs wrote....
- Barack Obama in CNN International
It's been easy at times to doubt our ability to do such a big thing, such a complicated thing, to wonder if there are limits to what we as a people can still achieve,Obama said. "We are not a nation that falls prey to doubt or mistrust. We...
- Abdullah Gul in USA Today
We need to engage in a joint struggle to completely eradicate terrorism,Gul said. "A comprehensive cooperation is required. There is no doubt that a greater role falls to the (place) where the terrorist organization's leadership and camps...