decline : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n change toward something smaller or lower
- n a condition inferior to an earlier condition; a gradual falling off from a better state
- n a gradual decrease; as of stored charge or current
- n a downward slope or bend
- v grow worse
- v refuse to accept
- v show unwillingness towards
he declined to join the group on a hike
- v grow smaller
- v go down
The roof declines here
- v go down in value
- v inflect for number, gender, case, etc., "in many languages, speakers decline nouns, pronouns, and adjectives"
- Cultural decline is a more difficult failing to assess and address.
- The decline had already prompted a number of moves by Harvard in recent months, including the elimination of 275 staff jobs and a freeze on salaries.
- I've updated my wildly popular chart of the decline in payroll employment with the nasty new numbers that the Bureau of Labor Statistics released this morning.
News & Articles
- Euro and Pound Decline Contradicts Rise in European Equities
Euro and Pound Decline Contradicts Rise in European Equities
June 14, 2013 - DailyFX via Yahoo! Finance
- Yum says KFC's sales decline in China is easing
Yum says KFC's sales decline in China is easing NEW YORK (AP) — Yum Brands says a key sales figure for China dropped 19 percent in May, as the parent company of KFC began to see signs of recovery from the double whammy of a bird flu scare and an earlier controversy over its chicken supply. The company later took a more aggressive stance and said it was eliminating more than 1,000 small producers ...
June 14, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Emerging Stocks Rise, Paring Biggest Weekly Decline in a Year
Emerging-market stocks rose, paring the benchmark index’s biggest weekly decline in a year, after valuations fell to an 11-month low. The won and the baht led currencies higher.
June 14, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Ben Bernanke in Independent
Mr Bernanke, speaking at Morehouse College in Atlanta, said: "Recently we have seen tentative signs that the sharp decline in economic activity may be slowing. A levelling out of economic activity is the first step toward recovery."
- Phil Gramm in Indianapolis Star
You just hear this constant whining,Gramm told the Washington Times, "complaining about a loss of competitiveness, America in decline."
- Barack Obama in New York Times
The choice we face is not between saving our environment and saving our economy,Mr. Obama said. "The choice we face is between prosperity and decline. We can remain the world's leading importer of oil, or we can become the world's leading...