- n a long wooden bench with a back
- v settle into a position, usually on a surface or ground
dust settled on the roofs
- v bring to an end; settle conclusively
- v settle conclusively; come to terms
We finally settled the argument
- v take up residence and become established
The immigrants settled in the Midwest
- v come to terms
- v go under, "The raft sank and its occupants drowned"
- v become settled or established and stable in one's residence or life style
He finally settled down
- v become resolved, fixed, established, or quiet
The roar settled to a thunder
The wind settled in the West
A cough settled in her chest
Her mood settled into lethargy
- v establish or develop as a residence
He settled the farm 200 years ago
This land was settled by Germans
- v come to rest
- v arrange or fix in the desired order
She settled the teacart
- v accept despite lack of complete satisfaction
We settled for a lower price
- v end a legal dispute by arriving at a settlement
The two parties finally settled
- v dispose of; make a financial settlement
- v become clear by the sinking of particles
the liquid gradually settled
- v cause to become clear by forming a sediment (of liquids)
- v sink down or precipitate
- v fix firmly
- v get one's revenge for a wrong or an injury
I finally settled with my old enemy
- v make final; put the last touches on; put into final form
- v form a community
The Swedes settled in Minnesota
- v come as if by falling
- While I was away earlier this week, I asked you which actors or series you dreamed of winning each category, which ones you'd settle for, and which ones you actually expect to win.
- Jones' attorneys deny rumors they're ready to settle.
- E-Mail a Friend Why settle for two-wheeled scooters when you can have three? The Trikke may look a little silly, with its oversized polyurethane wheels and its odd, swiveling .
- Barack Obama in ABC News
We can't afford to settle for a Washington where our energy policy, and our health care policy, and our tax policy is sold to the highest-bidding lobbyist,Obama said, and criticized Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Hillary Clinton, DN.Y.,...
- Mark Hurd in MSNBC
Mr Hurd said HP was "pleased to settle this matter with the attorney-general and are committed to ensuring that HP regains its standing as a global leader in corporate ethics and responsibility".
- Daniel Tani in Guardian Unlimited
I can't wait to settle into my new home,Tani said after being awoken to the song "Dancing in the Moonlight."