- n (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
- n the place where something begins, where it springs into being
communism's Russian root
- n (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed
- n a number that, when multiplied by itself some number of times, equals a given number
- n the set of values that give a true statement when substituted into an equation
- n someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
- n a simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in several languages can be derived by linguistic processes
- n the part of a tooth that is embedded in the jaw and serves as support
- v take root and begin to grow
this plant roots quickly
- v come into existence, originate
The problem roots in her depression
- v plant by the roots
- v dig with the snout
the pig was rooting for truffles
- v become settled or established and stable in one's residence or life style
- v cause to take roots
- Since ancient times, mathematicians have been fascinated by the problem of determining the square root of 2 that number which, when multiplied by itself, will equal 2.
- McCain allies characterize this grass-roots wing of the party as slightly unhinged.
- I don't deny my Muslim roots, but I don't vilify Europe either.
News & Articles
- Drive up for root beer floats at Parkview Care
Parkview Care Center is hosting a drive-up root beer float stand from noon to 2 p.m. Monday at the center, 1406 Oak Harbor Road. Free root beer floats will be served to the public in the circular drive. One float per customer.
June 13, 2013 - Fremont News-Messenger
- ComDyS Announces Guidance to Avoid Root Causes of Failure in Complex Environments and Training to Make a Difference
In complex environments, managers and experts must make decisions, yet fundamental root causes of failure do not receive adequate attention and guidance about what works versus what does not, is missing. Today, ComDyS, an entrepreneurial company specializing in complex systems, announces the availability of guidance and training that will enable managers and experts to become leaders in dealing ...
June 12, 2013 - PRWeb
- ROOT Sports drops two Montana football games
Montana fans who enjoyed high-definition ROOT Sports broadcasts of Grizzly football games last season, will see two fewer games this season after the network announced its 2013 schedule last week.
June 12, 2013 - Montana Kaimin
- Henry Paulson in Forbes
We will root out the waste, fraud, and abuse in our Medicare program that doesn't make our seniors any healthier, and we will restore a sense of fairness and balance to our tax code by finally ending the tax breaks for corporations that ship our... Barack Obama http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHQ0yfPaaXFGqLKymRgcres0I2nuA Economic Times http://www.google.com/url?q=http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Infotech/No-tax-cuts-for-outsourcing-Obama/articleshow/4189840.cms&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGq74U2Uu85KMV1jDE4jxvjC1Ef7A Feb 25, 2009
84651 112660 root The root cause of the stress in the capital markets is the real estate correction," Paulson said, adding he hopes to have a solution "aimed right at the heart of this problem."
- Dana Perino in GMA news.tv
The Treasury Department is moving quickly to use new tools to improve liquidity, which is the root cause of this problem,White House press secretary Dana Perino said. "Americans should be confident that every effort is being taken to...