dip : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a depression in an otherwise level surface
there was a dip in the road
- n (physics) the angle that a magnetic needle makes with the plane of the horizon
- n a thief who steals from the pockets or purses of others in public places
- n tasty mixture or liquid into which bite-sized foods are dipped
- n a brief immersion
- n a sudden sharp decrease in some quantity
a dip in prices
- n a candle that is made by repeated dipping in a pool of wax or tallow
- n a brief swim in water
- n a gymnastic exercise on the parallel bars in which the body is lowered and raised by bending and straightening the arms
- v immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate
dip the garment into the cleaning solution
dip the brush into the paint
- v dip into a liquid while eating
- v go down momentarily
- v stain an object by immersing it in a liquid
- v take a small amount from
I had to dip into my savings to buy him this present
- v switch (a car's headlights) from a higher to a lower beam
- v lower briefly
She dipped her knee
- v appear to move downward
The sun dipped below the horizon
- v slope downwards
Our property dips towards the river
- v dip into a liquid
He dipped into the pool
- v place (candle wicks) into hot, liquid wax
- v immerse in a disinfectant solution
dip the sheep
- v plunge (one's hand or a receptacle) into a container
He dipped into his pocket
- v scoop up by plunging one's hand or a ladle below the surface
dip water out of a container
- When I asked people how taking a dip in any river could absolve a person of sins, the only answer I got was that there must be some reason, otherwise why were so many people .
- In Varanasi--where 60,000 people gather daily, most for a holy dip--pumps were set up to divert sewage to a new treatment plant downstream.
- A dip vat is a long, narrow, 7-ft.
News & Articles
- Why Viacom Should Be Bought on the Dip
Why Viacom Should Be Bought on the Dip
June 12, 2013 - The Motley Fool
- Buy Japan on the Dip
Buy Japan on the Dip
June 11, 2013 - The Motley Fool
- Police: City has 13 percent crime dip, fewer weapons on streets
There was a 13 percent dip in overall crime and 3,000 fewer illegal weapons on the streets of Chicago this year, announced Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy on Monday. “We’re having a good year in comparison to where we’ve been in the past in this city,” said McCarthy at the Harrison district headquarters, behind two tables of handguns, assault rifles and other recently confiscated weapons ...
June 10, 2013 - Chicago Sun-Times
- Barack Obama in ABC News
I wouldn't even be surprised if that in some polls that you saw a little bit of a dip as a consequence we have been out of the country for a week,Obama told reporters on the last leg of his foreign trip, per ABC's Jake Tapper.
- Trevor Manuel in AFP
It's important that we understand just how fragile the recovery is,said Trevor Manuel, minister in the presidency for South Africa. "Economies around the world are raising the spectre of a double-dip recession and this presents the...
- Carlos Gutierrez in International Herald Tribune
...Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, in an interview with The Associated Press on Friday, said there was a "low likelihood" of a recession and that the "most likely scenario is that we will get through this dip and we will continue to see growth."