checked : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition
- v make an examination or investigation
- v be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something
- v lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits
- v stop for a moment, as if out of uncertainty or caution
She checked for an instant and missed a step
- v put a check mark on or near or next to
- v slow the growth or development of
- v be verified or confirmed; pass inspection
- v be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
- v block or impede (a player from the opposing team) in ice hockey
- v develop (children's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control
- v consign for shipment on a vehicle
- v hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping
- v abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey
- v stop in a chase especially when scent is lost
The dog checked
- v mark into squares or draw squares on; draw crossed lines on
- v decline to initiate betting
- v hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of
- v place into check
He checked my kings
- v write out a check on a bank account
- v find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort
- v verify by consulting a source or authority
- v arrest the motion (of something) abruptly
He checked the flow of water by shutting off the main valve
- v make cracks or chinks in
The heat checked the paint
- v become fractured; break or crack on the surface only
- s patterned with alternating squares of color
- No charge for the first checked bag ($25 for the second), and it's holding the line on the other freebies, like drinks and blankets, as well as still offering free meals like .
- Seattle police periodically checked Cobain's house, finding no traces of the singer.
- But if you don't want to risk losing it, put it in your checked luggage.
News & Articles
- Health agency inspected pool at NC motel where 3 died from carbon monoxide, a gas not checked
BOONE, N.C. — Inspectors checked a North Carolina motel where three people are presumed killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a pool water heater, but the local health department says the inspection doesn't include checking for the poisonous gas.
June 11, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Edward Snowden Reportedly 'Checked Out' Of Hong Kong Hotel Mira
A receptionist told the Post that a guest under Snowden's name had checked out on Monday, but could not reveal how long Snowden had stayed. In his interview with the Guardian, Snowden had described how there was a "CIA station just up the road – the consulate here in Hong Kong." However, the Mira is in fact situated on the Kowloon side across the water from the U.S. Consulate which is on the ...
June 10, 2013 - Business Insider
- Edward Snowden Has Checked Out of His Swanky Hong Kong Hotel
NSA leaker Edward Snowden was apparently staying in this swanky hotel in Hong Kong—until this morning, when he checked out for places unknown. Read more...
June 10, 2013 - Gawker
- Barack Obama in AFP
Last time, I checked Sarah Palin's not much of an expert on nuclear issues,Obama told ABC-TV's Good Morning America.
- Stephen Hadley in Reuters
I think unfortunately a lot of countries say 'well, if we say we are not going to the opening ceremonies, we've checked the box on Tibet' -- that's a cop out,Hadley said on "Fox News Sunday."
- Stuart Cage in Sydney Morning Herald
Lee felt pain in the calf and it was swollen yesterday,said Stuart Cage, of Westwood's management company International Sports Management. "But when he woke this morning his ankle was swollen too, so he decided to have it checked out in...