- n a gambling card game in which chips are placed on the ace and king and queen and jack of separate suits (taken from a separate deck); a player plays the lowest card of a suit in his hand and successively higher cards are played until the sequence stops; the player who plays a card matching one in the layout wins all the chips on that card
- n the event of something ending
- n the act of stopping something
the third baseman made some remarkable stops
- n a brief stay in the course of a journey
- n the state of inactivity following an interruption
- n a spot where something halts or pauses
- n a consonant produced by stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it
- n a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations
- n (music) a knob on an organ that is pulled to change the sound quality from the organ pipes
the organist pulled out all the stops
- n a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens
- n a restraint that checks the motion of something
- n an obstruction in a pipe or tube
- v come to a halt, stop moving
- v put an end to a state or an activity
- v stop from happening or developing
- v interrupt a trip
- v cause to stop
- v prevent completion
- v hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of
- v seize on its way
- v have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
- v render unsuitable for passage
- v stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments
- Should we take the percentage of traffic stops for a certain racial group and hold it against that group's percentage in the population? Or should it be the percentage of stops vs .
- But the clinical definition we use is when the heart stops beating, the lungs stop working, and as a consequence the brain itself stops working.
News & Articles
- ROBBINSVILLE: Two auto stops lead to heroin charges for seven
ROBBINSVILLE Township police have charged seven people with possession of heroin following two separate motor vehicle stops in the past week.One set of arrests took place at 3:30 p.m. June 5 on Robbinsville-Allentown Road while the second took place on I-195 east near Exit 7 on June 9.
June 17, 2013 - The Messenger-Press
- Lilly stops mid-stage Alzheimer's drug study
Lilly stops mid-stage Alzheimer's drug study NEW YORK (AP) — Eli Lilly and Co. said Thursday that it stopped a mid-stage clinical trial of an experimental Alzheimer's disease drug because of potential side effects on patients' livers. Alzheimer's is the most common type and there are around 5 million patients in the U.S. Approved drugs like Aricept and Namenda temporarily ease symptoms, but ...
June 16, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Truck stops add revenue to counties, Treasure Coast officials say | Map
Some 400 Martin County residents say a proposed truck stop off I-95 will depreciate their property values. Truck stops in St. Lucie and Indian River Counties have a positive economic impact, officials said.
June 16, 2013 - Stuart News
- Barack Obama in USA Today
These laws also have the potential of violating the rights of innocent American citizens and legal residents,Obama said, "making them subject to possible stops or questioning because of what they look like or how they sound."
- Rupert Murdoch in guardian.co.uk
As the chairman of the New York Post, I am ultimately responsible for what is printed in its pages. The buck stops with me,added Murdoch. "Last week, we made a mistake. We ran a cartoon that offended many people. Today I want to personally...
- Charles Prince in Financial Times (blog)
When the music stops, in terms of liquidity, things will be complicated,Prince said at the time. "But as long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance. We're still dancing."