- n a decorative texture or appearance of a surface (or the substance that gives it that appearance)
the boat had a metallic finish
he applied a coat of a clear finish
when the finish is too thin it is difficult to apply evenly
- n the temporal end; the concluding time
the market was up at the finish
- n a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality
almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conrad
- n the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey)
a crowd assembled at the finish
- n designated event that concludes a contest (especially a race)
excitement grew as the finish neared
my horse was several lengths behind at the finish
the winner is the team with the most points at the finish
- n the downfall of someone (as of persons on one side of a conflict)
booze will be the finish of him
it was a fight to the finish
- n event whose occurrence ends something
when these final episodes are broadcast it will be the finish of the show
- n (wine tasting) the taste of a wine on the back of the tongue (as it is swallowed)
the wine has a nutty flavor and a pleasant finish
- n the act of finishing
his best finish in a major tournament was third
the speaker's finishing was greeted with applause
- v come or bring to a finish or an end; others finished in over 4 hours"
He finished the dishes
The fastest runner finished the race in just over 2 hours
- v finally be or do something
- v have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
- v provide with a finish
The carpenter finished the table beautifully
this shirt is not finished properly
- v finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table
- v cause to finish a relationship with somebody
That finished me with Mary
- The Hummer brand, however, could be on the road to extinction if GM cannot soon finish a deal with China's Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery, the only bidder for the .
- A runner is transported to an aid station near the finish of the Chicago Marathon October 7, 2007.
- Instead, near the finish line of the men's 100m dash Saturday night, Usain Bolt has any sprinter ever had a more appropriate name? started to celebrate.
- Donovan in SkySports
I'm a little gutted to be honest,said Donovan, who scored his 43rd goal for his country. "I don't know how they stole that third goal from us. It's too bad because that was a fair goal I think. I saw a good finish and a good goal. I'm not...
- Jimmie Johnson in Washington Post
I thought, I don't care if I win this race or not,Johnson said. "I don't care if I finish this damn thing. I'm running into him and get by him one way or another."
- Barack Obama in San Francisco Chronicle
We are now incredibly close to making health insurance reform a reality in this country,Obama told reporters in a White House appearance shortly after the Senate vote. "Our challenge now is to finish the job."