- n either extremity of something that has length
the end of the pier
she knotted the end of the thread
they rode to the end of the line
- n the point in time at which something ends
the end of the year
the ending of warranty period
- n the concluding parts of an event or occurrence
the end was exciting
- n the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it
the ends justify the means
- n a final part or section
we have given it at the end of the section since it involves the calculus
Start at the beginning and go on until you come to the end
- n a final state
he came to a bad end
the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end
- n the surface at either extremity of a three-dimensional object
one end of the box was marked `This side up'
- n (football) the person who plays at one end of the line of scrimmage
the end managed to hold onto the pass
- n a boundary marking the extremities of something
the end of town
- n one of two places from which people are communicating to each other
the phone rang at the other end
both ends wrote at the same time
- n the part you are expected to play
he held up his end
- n the last section of a communication
- n a piece of cloth that is left over after the rest has been used or sold
- n (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage
no one wanted to play end
- v have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
My property ends by the bushes
The symphony ends in a pianissimo
- v bring to an end or halt
She ended their friendship when she found out that he had once been convicted of a crime
- v be the end of; be the last or concluding part of
This sad scene ended the movie
- v put an end to
The terrible news ended our hopes that he had survived
- A radio legend dies at 90, still talking up a storm .
- President Truman this week asked Congress to pass a resolution ending the state of war with Germany.
- All good things must come to an end and, sadly, that applies to the China Blog too, which will shutter at the end of today.
- Wesley Sneijder in USA Today
This is unforgettable,said Sneijder, tied with Spain's David Villa for top scorer at the tournament (five goals). "It was a tough fight and toward the end we complicated matters. Sunday we play in the World Cup final. I have to get used to...
- Larry King in ABC News
I talked to the guys here at CNN and I told them I would like to end 'Larry King Live,' the nightly show, this fall and CNN has graciously accepted, to agree to giving me more time for my wife and I to get to the kids' little league games,...