lay off :
- v put an end to a state or an activity
- v dismiss, usually for economic reasons
News & Articles
- Greek State TV, Radio Broadcasts Go Off the Air
(ATHENS, Greece) — Greek state TV and radio were gradually pulled off the air late Tuesday, hours after the government said it would temporarily close all state-run broadcasts and lay off about 2,500 workers as part of a cost-cutting drive demanded by the bailed-out country’s international creditors. The conservative-led government said the Hellenic Broadcasting Corp., or ERT, will reopen “as ...
June 12, 2013 - Time Magazine
- Davidson County judge blocks Gov. Bill Haslam's plan to lay off state workers
NASHVILLE — Gov. Bill Haslam's plan to lay off more than 200 state workers this month struck a pothole late Monday afternoon when a Davidson County judge issued a temporary restraining order after state employees filed suit.
June 11, 2013 - Chattanooga Times Free Press
- GM to lay off 560 workers to retool engine plant
GM to lay off 560 workers to retool engine plant GM says layoffs at the Romulus, Mich., factory will start in August and run to late 2015. During the layoffs, about 430 full-time workers will get unemployment and supplemental pay worth about 75 percent of their wages.
June 9, 2013 - seattlepi.com