furlough : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a temporary leave of absence from military duty
- v dismiss, usually for economic reasons
- v grant a leave to
The prisoner was furloughed for the weekend to visit her children
- UC president Mark Yudof said the furlough plan was preferable to layoffs in an enormous system that includes five medical centers, three national laboratories and 225,000 graduate .
- The move is different from a furlough in that salaries were not cut; nor was the total amount of time employees work.
- Dukakis pointed out that he had actually ended the furlough program, but his protest was late and languid.
News & Articles
- Wyoming Military Dept. Finalizes Furlough Numbers
Furlough numbers for the Wyoming Military Department have been finalized and the news is good. The department was originally expecting a total of 22 furlough days, but that number has been cut in half
June 12, 2013 - KGWN-TV Cheyenne
- Wyo. Military Dept. finalizes furlough order
More than 400 Wyoming Military Department employees will be required to take off 11 days without pay this summer because of federal budget cuts. Maj. Gen. Luke Reiner, Wyoming's adjutant general, said he recently sent out furlough notices to 404 civilian workers.
June 12, 2013 - Laramie Boomerang
- Malmstrom AFB to furlough 525 civilian workers
Malmstrom Air Force Base officials are handing out notices of furloughs to its civilian employees.
June 12, 2013 - Montana Kaimin
- Ed Rendell in ABC News
I sincerely hope that this will be a one-day furlough, and I have reason for optimism,Rendell said at a news conference Sunday night, though he declined to be more specific.
- Craig Dubow in Los Angeles Times
A furlough program would be the fairest and least intrusive way to meet these fiscal challenges in the first quarter,Dubow, who had a salary of $1.2 million in 2007, said in the memo. "We sincerely hope this minimizes the need for any...
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in News10.net
The fact of the matter is in the end, I have the authority as the governor to if they don't go along with the furlough to lay off the amount of people necessary so we have a savings of $1.4 billion dollars,added Schwarzenegger.