- n continuing or remaining in a place or state
they had a nice stay in Paris
a lengthy hospital stay
a four-month stay in bankruptcy court
- n the state of inactivity following an interruption
the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow
- n a judicial order forbidding some action until an event occurs or the order is lifted
the Supreme Court has the power to stay an injunction pending an appeal to the whole Court
- n a thin strip of metal or bone that is used to stiffen a garment (e.g. a corset)
- n (nautical) brace consisting of a heavy rope or wire cable used as a support for a mast or spar
- v stay the same; remain in a certain state
- v stay put (in a certain place); we are not moving to Cincinnati"
We are staying in Detroit
- v dwell
You can stay with me while you are in town
stay a bit longer--the day is still young
- v continue in a place, position, or situation
After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser
- v remain behind
I had to stay at home and watch the children
- v stop or halt
Please stay the bloodshed!
- v stay behind
The smell stayed in the room
- v hang on during a trial of endurance
- v stop a judicial process
The judge stayed the execution order
- v fasten with stays
- v overcome or allay
- After a six-hour hearing that had been scheduled for just an hour, the George State Board of Pardons and Paroles late Monday announced a 90-day stay of execution for Troy Anthony .
- It took the head of the upper school to call my bluff: "If you only stay a year or two," he asked, "do you really think youll be giving more to the school than youll be .
- While the government helps some people stay in their homes, the overall housing market could be overrun by foreclosures driven by job losses.
News & Articles
- Father Knows Death: A Stay at Home Dad Mystery
Stay-at-home dad Deuce Winters returns for a third mystery in this well-written amateur sleuth story. While working with a partner in an investigations firm, Deuce currently is not looking for any cases to solve as his wife is due with their second child any day now.
June 15, 2013 - Book Reporter
- Stay Fresh Foods Adds Second High Pressure Processing Line
Hitting its volume targets more than a year ahead of schedule, high pressure processing (HPP) services provider Stay Fresh Foods is leapfrogging over its original growth plans to launch a second HPP line in September
June 14, 2013 - Meat and Poultry Online
- Stay cool in the garden this summer
Stay cool in the summer sun with these tips:
June 12, 2013 - Macon Telegraph
- Stan Van Gundy in AFP
It's gotten ridiculous,Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said Wednesday. "It's almost like a parody of itself this whole situation now. Come on, an hour long? It takes 15 seconds to say I've decided to stay in Cleveland but we've got...
- Diego Forlan in MirrorFootball.co.uk
I had some tiredness in my thigh when I started the game and it was difficult,he said. "I was limping and I was trying to stay in the game but in the end I could not help anybody. I hope to be fit for Saturday, I want to play for that...
- Phil Mickelson in The Associated Press
I'm in a good spot,he said after a second round in which he beat the entire field at a major for the first time in his career. "I don't look at the leaderboard. I don't look at other players. I look at par. If you can stay around par,...