- v suppress or crush completely
- v overcome or allay
quell my hunger
- They quickly formed a multi-state armed rebellion and President George Washington called in 13,000 troops to quell the opposition.
- Meanwhile in another wargame panel, NATO forces assembled to quell fighting along the Uzbekistan-Turkmenistan border.
- PTI: Your government used what many consider excessive force to quell protests about the elections.
News & Articles
- Asian shares hit 2013 lows, Nikkei volatile on BOJ jitters
By Chikako Mogi TOKYO (Reuters) - Asian shares hit fresh 2013 lows and Japanese stocks had another volatile session on Wednesday, extending a broad rout in global equities, as the lack of new steps from the Bank of Japan to quell tumult in the domestic bond market and lingering fears of a softening of U.S. stimulus unnerved investors. European stock markets are likely to fall, with financial ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Watch: Crackdown on Protestors in Turkey
Prime minister of Turkey unleashes force including tear gas to quell the unrest.
June 12, 2013 - ABC News
- Nikkei slips but ends off day's low of below 13,000
By Dominic Lau TOKYO (Reuters) - The Nikkei average slipped on Wednesday, extending the previous session's decline on disappointment that the Bank of Japan offered no fresh measures to quell volatility ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! Finance
- Roza Otunbayeva in Yeshiva World News
The situation in the Osh region has spun out of control,Kyrgyzstan's acting president, Roza Otunbayeva, said Saturday. "Attempts to establish a dialogue have failed, and fighting and rampages are continuing. We need outside forces to quell...
- Shinzo Abe in Forbes
We want to do all we can to ensure safety ...... and to quell everyone's concerns,said Abe, whose ruling party is trailing in the polls. "I want to get a picture of what happened and also want everyone to feel a little bit more secure."
- Barack Obama in Media Matters for America
My assessment is that if we put an addition 30,000 of our outstanding troops in Baghdad it is going to quell some of the violence short term, I don't think there has even been any doubt about that,said Obama, adding "It doesn't change the...