- n nocturnal mouselike mammal with forelimbs modified to form membranous wings and anatomical adaptations for echolocation by which they navigate
- n (baseball) a turn trying to get a hit
he got four hits in four at-bats
- n a small racket with a long handle used for playing squash
- n the club used in playing cricket
- n a club used for hitting a ball in various games
- v strike with, or as if with a baseball bat
- v wink briefly
- v have a turn at bat
Jones bats first, followed by Martinez
- v use a bat
- v beat thoroughly and conclusively in a competition or fight
- s informal or slang terms for mentally irregular
- Scientists have known for years that bats navigate by sonar.
- According to vampire-bat expert Bill Schutt, a zoologist and author of the book Dark Banquet, about 10 species of bats were erroneously named "vampires," while the true blood .
- For people who live in temperate countries, vampire bats are colorful items for horror stories.
- Frank Thomas in Toronto Star
It's pretty obvious,Thomas said when asked if he thought saving money was a factor in his benching. "Sixty at-bats isn't enough time to make that decision. I'm angry. I know I can help this team. My career isn't going to end like this."
- Patrick Leahy in Forbes
This is like saying when somebody murders somebody with aa baseball bat and you say, 'We had a law against murder but we never mentioned baseball bats,'said Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. "Murder is murder. Torture is...
- Ron Washington in Seattle Times
I knew we'd get the bats going, but I never expected anything like this,Washington said. "When the faucet is on, you want it to stay on."