cracked : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v become fractured; break or crack on the surface only
The glass cracked when it was heated
- v make a very sharp explosive sound
His gun cracked
- v make a sharp sound
- v hit forcefully; deal a hard blow, making a cracking noise
The teacher cracked him across the face with a ruler
- v pass through (a barrier)
Registrations cracked through the 30,000 mark in the county
- v break partially but keep its integrity
The glass cracked
- v break suddenly and abruptly, as under tension
- v gain unauthorized access computers with malicious intentions
she cracked my password
- v suffer a nervous breakdown
- v tell spontaneously
- v cause to become cracked
heat and light cracked the back of the leather chair
- v reduce (petroleum) to a simpler compound by cracking
- v break into simpler molecules by means of heat
The petroleum cracked
- s used of skin roughened as a result of cold or exposure
- s of paint or varnish; having the appearance of alligator hide
- s informal or slang terms for mentally irregular
- Psychiatrists, crack experts on cracked brains, met at Toronto, last week, and for a moment entertained the scientifically crazy notion of forbidding a psychoanalysis of Abraham.
- Then popurls (it rhymes with popular) cracked the code by pulling together up-to-the-moment headlines from the biggest and most popular news and opinion sites, blogs and vlogs onto .
- I cracked; I just cracked.
News & Articles
- Revs use hot start to blast past Blue Crabs
The York Revolution cracked 13 hits -- including five straight hits to open the game -- and took advantage of eight errors or wild pitches by the Blue Crabs to score a 7-3 win in Waldorf, Md.
June 16, 2013 - York Daily Record
- MLB: Seattle 4, Oakland 0
OAKLAND, Calif., June 15 (UPI) -- Felix Hernandez fired seven shutout innings and Henry Blanco cracked a grand slam Saturday, boosting the Seattle Mariners over Oakland 4-0.
June 16, 2013 - UPI
- Political Notebook: June 16
Longtime Democratic Sen. Thelma Harper has confirmed plans to run for re-election, but the door could be cracked open for a potential primary challenge from another high-profile North Nashville politician.
June 16, 2013 - The Tennessean
- Miranda Lambert in The Tennessean (blog)
The singer of such tough songs as "Gunpowder & Lead," Lambert said backstage, "I never cry and I cried tonight. You cracked me, people."
- Lance Armstrong in USA Today
Yet we're up against her biological clock -- that pressure is what cracked it,Armstrong says, adding that, "Because if somebody wants a child -- man, that's the greatest gift you can give to a woman -- so who are you to stand there and say...
- Kate Hutton in Chicago Tribune
It will certainly cause cracked plaster and broken windows, but probably not structural damage,said Hutton.