- v cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
- v disturb the peace of mind of; afflict with mental agitation or distress
- v change the arrangement or position of
- v subject to prolonged examination, discussion, or deliberation
- v be a mystery or bewildering to
- s troubled persistently especially with petty annoyances
the vexed parents of an unruly teenager
- s causing difficulty in finding an answer or solution; much disputed
the vexed issue of priorities
we live in vexed and troubled times
- Members of the British Royal Academy were vexed last week with a painful problem.
- I could not understand, and was vexed.
- Yet eight years of war with no end in sight leaves other military experts vexed.
News & Articles
- 2013 Ford Explorer: Family Checklist
The Ford Explorer's popularity has always vexed me. There was a time in the late 1990s that it seemed to be everywhere — much like the Kardashians today. Back then, I didn't get the appeal of the Explorer. Thanks to...
June 12, 2013 - Cars.com
- Dune work permitted, protesters not swayed
Police were called Friday morning to Sliders Seaside Grill when tensions flared between contractors doing a permitted dune project and a small crowd of residents vexed by the work.
June 12, 2013 - Fernandina Beach News-Leader
- Parking pickle
Farmers market parking change frustrates, but does not stop attendees Parking changes for this year’s farmers market have left many vexed and it is unclear how deeply they will affect the event. Parking for the Saturday market was located next door to the Pickering Barn site at a Costco-owned lot that stretches south to another building on [...]
June 12, 2013 - Issaquah Press
- Anthony Weiner in Forbes
This is an issue that's vexed Washington for a while. Now it's spread its plague to Albany and I think the governor learned the lesson that immigration has become the new third rail of politics,said Rep. Anthony Weiner, a New York City Democrat.
- Samuel Sewall in Forbes
Some somehow observe the day,wrote Boston Puritan Samuel Sewall on Christmas Day 1685, "but are vexed, I believe, that the body of people profane it, and blessed be God no authority yet compels them to keep it."
- Martin Snedden in Stuff.co.nz
It's been an issue that has vexed us and caused a lot of discussion,said Snedden of the late kickoffs.