- n a quantity that is added
they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks
- n the advantageous quality of being beneficial
- n the amount of increase in signal power or voltage or current expressed as the ratio of output to input
- n the amount by which the revenue of a business exceeds its cost of operating
- v obtain
- v win something through one's efforts
- v derive a benefit from
- v reach a destination, either real or abstract
- v obtain advantages, such as points, etc.
The home team was gaining ground
- v rise in rate or price
The stock market gained 24 points today
- v increase or develop
the peace movement gained momentum
- v earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages
- v increase (one's body weight)
She gained 20 pounds when she stopped exercising
- Where you gain weight on your body may play a significant role in how you can lose it.
- In a series of experiments, scientists at Purdue University compared weight gain and eating habits in rats whose diets were supplemented with sweetened food containing either zero .
- A study in lab animals is the first to link the timing of meals to the degree of weight gain, supporting researchers' hunch: midnight snacks are particularly bad for your waistline.
News & Articles
- Ahead of the Bell: US construction Spending
Construction spending likely showed a gain in May, helped by strength in home building. Economists were predicting that construction spending rose 0.6 percent in May, compared with April, according to ...
July 1, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Kenya shilling steady, may get lift from foreigners buying shares
NAIROBI (Reuters) - The Kenyan shilling was steady against the dollar on Monday but could gain a little in the days ahead as foreign investors come back into the share market, traders said on Monday. At 0740 GMT, leading commercial banks posted the shilling at 85.85/95, compared with Friday's closing rate of 85.80/90. Traders said most importers had already filled their end month dollar ...
July 1, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Night owls gain more weight
New research published today in the journal Sleep confirms what scientists have been telling us for some time now: the later you stay up, the more sleep you lose, the more calories you’ll eat, and the more weight you’ll gain.
June 30, 2013 - MSN
- Lindsay Lohan in Mirror.co.uk
My life has become unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs,she said from the Cirque Lodge clinic. "I want to be healthy and gain control of my life and career, and have asked for medical help in doing so."
- Joe Biden in Hartford Courant
The United States rejects the notion that NATO's gain is Russia's loss, or that Russia's strength is NATO's weakness,Biden said.
- Harry Reid in International Herald Tribune
Adding more combat troops will only endanger more Americans and stretch our military to the breaking point for no strategic gain,Pelosi and Reid wrote in a letter to Bush.