- n a movement forward
- n a change for the better; progress in development
- n a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others
she rejected his advances
- n the act of moving forward (as toward a goal)
- n an amount paid before it is earned
- n increase in price or value
the news caused a general advance on the stock market
- v move forward, also in the metaphorical sense
- v bring forward for consideration or acceptance
advance an argument
- v increase or raise
- v contribute to the progress or growth of
- v cause to move forward
- v obtain advantages, such as points, etc.
- v develop in a positive way
- v develop further
- v give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
Women tend not to advance in the major law firms
- v pay in advance
Can you advance me some money?
- v move forward
we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward
- v rise in rate or price
- s being ahead of time or need
gave advance warning
- s situated ahead or going before
an advance party
at that time the most advanced outpost was still east of the Rockies
- The animated interface requires two free Netscape plug-ins and a graphics package that must be downloaded in advance.
- GM, the company that had done more to advance EV technology than any other, became the company that "killed the electric car.
- Since globalization and technological advance are good things, the increase in inequality thus isn't really something we'd want to stop.
News & Articles
- Cash Advance outlet robbed at knifepoint
SOUTH BEND -- Police in South Bend were continuing to investigate Saturday the armed robbery of a Cash Advance outlet in the 900 block of East Ireland Road.
June 16, 2013 - South Bend Tribune
- Advance Auto Parts Promotes Jon Dehne to Senior Vice President
Advance Auto Parts, Inc. , a leading retailer of automotive aftermarket parts, accessories, batteries and maintenance items, announced the promotion of Jon Dehne to Senior Vice President, Market Availability, Inventory Management and Merchandise Operations.
June 14, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Advance Digital wins Microsoft Digital Marketing award
Advance Digital was recognized for its outstanding solutions and services in digital marketing using Microsoft technology.
June 14, 2013 - The Oregonian
- President Bush in Times Online
Some say the gains we are making in Iraq come too late,Mr Bush said. "They are mistaken. It is never too late to deal a blow to al-Qaeda. It is never too late to advance freedom. And it is never too late to support our troops in a fight...
- Joe Biden in Tehran Times
I condemn the decision by the government of Israel to advance planning for new housing units in East Jerusalem,Joe Biden said. "It's the kind of step that undermines the trust we need"
- Harry Reid in Examiner.com
I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama's legislative agenda,the senator from Nevada said.