- v contribute to the progress or growth of
- v inspire with confidence; give hope or courage to
- v spur on
His financial success encouraged him to look for a wife
- To encourage investors to re-enter the stock market and foster corporate responsibility, he is set to propose that taxes on dividends be eliminated entirely.
- This provision will encourage all firms to pursue investment in the coming months, but will benefit small firms in particular, who generally have smaller amounts of annual property .
- A better plan would be to encourage mortgage holders to renegotiate the principle down to 100% of current market value, and then refinance at low rates through Fannie Freddie.
- Pope Benedict XVI in Earthtimes (press release)
Today I encourage each of you to do what you can to foster healing and reconciliation and to assist those who have been hurt,Benedict said in an advance version of his homily.
- Roger Goodell in Boston Globe
This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field,Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote in a letter to the Patriots.
- Barack Obama in Business Mirror
It's time for those banks to fulfill their responsibility to help ensure a wider ecovery,Obama said. "We're going to take every appropriate step to encourage them to meet those responsibilities."