- n (military) withdrawal of troops to a more favorable position to escape the enemy's superior forces or after a defeat
the disorderly retreat of French troops
- n a place of privacy; a place affording peace and quiet
- n (military) a signal to begin a withdrawal from a dangerous position
- n (military) a bugle call signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset
- n an area where you can be alone
- n withdrawal for prayer and study and meditation
the religious retreat is a form of vacation activity
- n the act of withdrawing or going backward (especially to escape something hazardous or unpleasant)
- v pull back or move away or backward
- v move away, as for privacy
The Pope retreats to Castelgondolfo every summer
- v move back
- v make a retreat from an earlier commitment or activity
- Raider Louis Wolfson, who parlayed a Jacksonville junkyard into a $240 million empire and attempted to gain control of giant Montgomery Ward, sounded a general retreat last week.
- Adolf Hitler's armies in southern Russia were in full retreat last week.
- One morning last week the Russian state radio canceled its regular programs, and for the next three hours droned out details of a great Moscow retreat.
News & Articles
- At Vermont Writer's Retreat When Words Count, Authors Compete for a Major Book Deal, Backed by an All-Star, Book ...
Vermont-based When Words Count Retreat is now accepting applications for Pitch Week, a twice-a-year juried competition in which up-and-coming authors show off their marketing knowledge and communication skills (pitching, presenting and discussing their books) before a seasoned panel of book publishing pros. The winner gets a major book deal, a literary agent and a national book-launch publicity ...
June 19, 2013 - PRWeb
- Investors Retreat From Emerging Markets and Japan, Return to Europe - Survey
Investors Retreat From Emerging Markets and Japan, Return to Europe - Survey
June 18, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Brookhaven Retreat Celebrates Fly a Kite Day in June
Brookhaven Retreat, a unique residential treatment facility exclusively for women with mental health and/or substance abuse issues, invited all clients and staff to experience the therapeutic benefits of kite flying on June 14. (PRWeb June 18, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/brookhavenretreat/fly-a-kite/prweb10827550.htm
June 18, 2013 - PRWeb
- Mitt Romney in RealClearPolitics (blog)
Referring to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, Romney said, "They would retreat, declare defeat, and the consequence of that would be devastating."
- Joe Lieberman in New York Times
When others wanted to retreat in defeat from the field of battle, when Barack Obama was voting to cut off funding for our troops on the ground, John McCain had the courage to stand against the tide of public opinion and support the surge,Mr....
- Paul Watson in AFP
The Japanese whalers have now escalated this conflict very violently,said Paul Watson, captain of the Sea Shepherd's Steve Irwin ship. "If they think that our remaining two ships will retreat from the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary in the...