hit : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (baseball) a successful stroke in an athletic contest (especially in baseball)
he came all the way around on Williams' hit
- n the act of contacting one thing with another
repeated hitting raised a large bruise
after three misses she finally got a hit
- n a conspicuous success
that song was his first hit and marked the beginning of his career
- n (physics) a brief event in which two or more bodies come together
- n a dose of a narcotic drug
- n a murder carried out by an underworld syndicate
it has all the earmarks of a Mafia hit
- n a connection made via the internet to another website
WordNet gets many hits from users worldwide
- v cause to move by striking
hit a ball
- v hit against; come into sudden contact with
The car hit a tree
- v deal a blow to, either with the hand or with an instrument
He hit her hard in the face
- v reach a destination, either real or abstract
We hit Detroit by noon
I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts
- v affect or afflict suddenly, usually adversely
We were hit by really bad weather
- v hit with a missile from a weapon
- v encounter by chance
- v gain points in a game
He hit a home run
He hit .300 in the past season
- v cause to experience suddenly
An interesting idea hit her
- v make a strategic, offensive, assault against an enemy, opponent, or a target
- v kill intentionally and with premeditation
- v drive something violently into a location
he hit his fist on the table
- v reach a point in time, or a certain state or level
The thermometer hit 100 degrees
- v produce by manipulating keys or strings of musical instruments, also metaphorically
- v consume to excess
hit the bottle
- v hit the intended target or goal
- v pay unsolicited and usually unwanted sexual attention to
He tries to hit on women in bars
- Bush hit 53 in March; Clinton hit 51 within a month of his inauguration.
- With The Baader Meinhof Complex, the maverick film producer turns a painful German memory into an action hit and earns another nod from the Academy.
- For example, the asteroid that hit 65 million years ago that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs caused a title wave that was probably a mile high when it hit the coast.
News & Articles
- Rays hit 3 homers off Lester, beat Red Sox
Matt Joyce hit one of three homers off Jon Lester to help the Tampa Bay Rays beat the AL East-leading Boston Red Sox 8-3 on Tuesday night.
June 12, 2013 - ESPN
- Hit The Floor: Tweet Of The Night
The drama continues to unfold on Hit The Floor and as Ahsha processes her shocking daddy news Jelena stands by and watches in amusement. @OfficialEbony1 sums up last night’s juicy events in one perfect tweet. Check out last night’s featured Tweet Of The Night. Make sure to catch an all new episode of Hit The [...]
June 11, 2013 - Vh1 Blog
- Hit and run driver who hit teen at bus stop sentenced
The driver involved in a hit and run that severely injured a 16-year-old girl last August has been sentenced to one year of probation by a judge.
June 11, 2013 - ABC 7 Gulfshore News
- Paul Goydos in iseekgolf.com
That's the most nervous I've been over a putt, probably,he said after his round. "It felt like when I brought the putter back and made a pretty good stroke, couldn't hit the putt any more solid and the ball couldn't have gone more in the...
- David Duval in The Associated Press
The score is kind of the golden egg,Duval said. "You have to hit shots, you have to hit putts. Regardless of where it's done or who does it, it's amazing."
- Jimmie Johnson in Yahoo! Sports (blog)
I'm not good at doing that stuff, usually I crash myself in the process. So I tried once and moved him. I'm like 'ok, I gotta hit him harder,' and the second time I moved him out of the way and got by him and was able to get going,Johnson said.