hitter : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (baseball) a ballplayer who is batting
- n someone who hits
a hard hitter
blacksmiths are good hitters
- Don Larsen had pitched the first perfect major-league no-hitter in 34 years, and the first no-hitter-of any kind in World Series history.
- During the game, his Yankees teammates abided by the superstition that no one was to talk to the pitcher throwing a no-hitter, lest they would jinx the history unfolding before them.
- Slap hitter Ichiro Suzuki and a dozen or so Japanese pitchers are shining in North America, but Matsui is the only fully fledged power hitter ever to make the trans-Pacific leap.
- Mark Buehrle in New York Times
I was hoping it was staying in there, give him enough room to catch it,Buehrle said of Wise's catch in a televised postgame interview. "I know the guys were doing everything they could to save the no-hitter, the perfect game, whatever it...
- Edwin Jackson in phillyBurbs.com
It's one of those bittersweet moments. You throw a no hitter and it's against your old team,Jackson added. "At least it's with a crowd that you've had accomplishment with and you can do in front of someone who will appreciate it."
- President Bush in ESPN
You've always been a great hitter and you broke a great record,Bush told Bonds on the phone, according to White House spokesman Tony Fratto.