- n a vigorous blow
- n a serious collision (especially of motor vehicles)
- n a hard return hitting the tennis ball above your head
- n the act of colliding with something
the fullback's smash into the defensive line
- n a conspicuous success
that new Broadway show is a real smasher
- v hit hard
He smashed a 3-run homer
- v break into pieces, as by striking or knocking over
- v reduce to bankruptcy
The slump in the financial markets smashed him
- v hit violently
She smashed her car against the guard rail
- v humiliate or depress completely
The death of her son smashed her
- v damage or destroy as if by violence
- v hit (a tennis ball) in a powerful overhead stroke
- v collide or strike violently and suddenly
The motorcycle smashed into the guard rail
- v overthrow or destroy (something considered evil or harmful)
The police smashed the drug ring after they were tipped off
- v break suddenly into pieces, as from a violent blow
The window smashed
- r with a loud crash
the car went smash through the fence
- Her breakthrough album, I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (1967), was a Top 40 smash.
- Whedon released it online, where it became an iTunes smash and inspired a deluge of homemade Evil League of Evil application-videos by fans.
- The ancient battle drama is a Spartanian smash .
News & Articles
- BLOG: Smash Bros. Online: An Odyssey
One man's journey into that abyss that is Brawl Online. Late last week, after watching the Super Smash Bros E3 trailer for the fourth or fifth time, I got the itch. So I dug out my Smash Bros. Brawl disc, and put it, for the first time, into my Wii U. I hadn't played Smash Bros. since being forced to abandon GameCube controls by virtue of transferring my save to the Wii U. Thankfully, the ...
June 17, 2013 - Nintendo World Report
- TV Q&A: "Smash” wasn't one after all
Megan Hilty, left, and Katharine McPhee in “Smash,” which lost half its audience last season.
June 17, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Super Smash Bros: What happens when Kirby eats Mega Man is 'classified'
Super Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai may have been forthcoming about the new Super Smash Bros ' lack of cross-platform play , but when it came to the really important information, he was still pretty cagey. For example, what could be more important than finding out what happens when Kirby eats Smash newcomer Mega Man ? These are two gaming icons whose main ability is to steal the abilities ...
June 14, 2013 - Joystiq
- Julia Gillard in Voice of America
I love this country and I was not going to sit idly by and watch an incoming opposition cut education, cut health and smash rights at work,she said. "My values and my beliefs have driven me to step forward to take this position as prime...
- Scott Dixon in SI.com
Restart after restart,said runner-up Scott Dixon. "It's just one of those days where you feel like you haven't even raced. It's sort of being on the freeway and watching lots of people smash into each other. It's just a frustrating day in...
- Reggie Fils-Aime in BBC News
Independent developers armed with small budgets and big ideas will be able to get their original games into the marketplace to see if we can find the next smash hit,said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America president in a statement.