- n horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
- n a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
- n a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
- v attach something somewhere by means of nails
nail the board onto the wall
- v take into custody
- v hit hard
- v succeed in obtaining a position
He nailed down a spot at Harvard
- v succeed at easily
She nailed her astrophysics course
- v locate exactly
The chemists could not nail the identity of the chromosome
- v complete a pass
- An iron pin long claimed to be a nail from the crucifixion, hammered into the blade and set off by tiny brass crosses is "con-sistent" in length and shape with a 1st .
- Odeur 53, created in 1998, has notes of nail polish and burnt rubber.
- In central Java last week, several million illiterate voters punched a nail through a printed symbol representing one of 69 political parties.
News & Articles
- VIDEO: Nail polish-covered turtle rescued by wildlife center
A wildlife center is trying to find out more about a pregnant, painted turtle that was found covered in nail polish and glitter. The paint is bad for the turtle because it makes her more visible to predators. Source: The News Leader
June 14, 2013 - Hattiesburg American
- Nail Salon robbery suspects in custody
Amarillo, TX - A man and woman are behind bars after an armed robbery at an Amarillo nail salon
June 13, 2013 - KFDA-TV Amarillo
- Nail Trend Alert: Textured, Matte Polishes
(Danica Lo / StyleBistro) Deborah Lippman's new punk rock nail collection Tired of your run-of-the-mill pretty, shiny nail polishes in neutrals, pinks, and reds? Looking for something tough to gird your nail beds with this season? Check out Deborah Lippmann's latest—a trio of Punk Rock-inspired spackle-texture matte polishes, all part of a limited-edition release designed with texture in mind ...
June 11, 2013 - StyleBistro
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
What's really frustrating me right now is that you've got these same banks who benefited from taxpayer assistance who are fighting tooth and nail with their lobbyists . . . up on Capitol Hill, fighting against financial regulatory control,...
- Mitt Romney in KTLA
John McCain hit the nail on the head,said Romney.
- Lance Armstrong in BBC Sport
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail. I was the nail,said seven-time champion Armstrong after a puncture cost him dear. "I have 20 days now to be the hammer. We'll stay in the race and keep trying."