- n endless loop of flexible material between two rotating shafts or pulleys
- n a band to tie or buckle around the body (usually at the waist)
- n an elongated region where a specific condition or characteristic is found
a belt of high pressure
- n a vigorous blow
- n a path or strip (as cut by one course of mowing)
- n ammunition (usually of small caliber) loaded in flexible linked strips for use in a machine gun
- n the act of hitting vigorously
- v sing loudly and forcefully
- v deliver a blow to
He belted his opponent
- v fasten with a belt
belt your trousers
- I had BOY TOY made into a belt buckle.
- The earth is apparently ringed by two radiation belts, not just one.
- Belts Freedom of Choice .
News & Articles
- Grant boost safety belt enforcement
An overtime grant allowed Clearcreek Twp. police to bump-up enforcement of safety belt laws, according to township officials. The township police applied for a High Visibility Enforcement Overtime grant, which allowed the department to increase patrols during the national “Click it or Ticket” campaign, officials said. Clearcreek officers wrote 84 citations during the May 20 to June 2 campaign ...
June 12, 2013 - WHIO-TV 7 Dayton
- Jesse James' gun belt, Jim Younger's decorated fiddle, headline 'Outlaw' trove at Heritage Auctions
Jesse James Gun Belt, from the Collection of Harry Hoffman. DALLAS, TX .- A gun belt belonging to legendary outlaw Jesse James — one of just two the gunslinger was known to have had at the time of his death at the hands of Robert Ford — is expected to bring more than $10,000 as the centerpiece of Heritage Auctions ' June 22 Legends of the Wild West event.
June 11, 2013 - Art Daily
- Slate Belt sex offender gets life sentence
Questioned by police investigating whether he had sex with a 13-year-old girl after tying her up in a basement, the Slate Belt man offered what was a surprisingly cold response.
June 11, 2013 - The Morning Call
- Serena Williams in The Guardian
I don't feel I've been playing my best tennis in this championship ...... it would be a good one to get under my belt,she said, making the whole exercise sound like a light training run.
- Jan Egeland in Washington Post
It is a question of war and peace,said Egeland, now director of the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs in Oslo. "We're already seeing the first climate wars, in the Sahel belt of Africa."
- Eric Roozendaal in Sydney Morning Herald
Clearly there are challenges for NSW, clearly there are challenging decisions that will have to be made,Mr Roozendaal said. "We'll be carefully analysing all of the issues, but the state is going to have to tighten its belt."