- v cut down on; make a reduction in
reduce your daily fat intake
- v make less complex
reduce a problem to a single question
- v bring to humbler or weaker state or condition
He reduced the population to slavery
- v simplify the form of a mathematical equation of expression by substituting one term for another
- v lower in grade or rank or force somebody into an undignified situation
She reduced her niece to a servant
- v be the essential element
- v reduce in size; reduce physically
- v lessen and make more modest
reduce one's standard of living
- v make smaller
reduce an image
- v to remove oxygen from a compound, or cause to react with hydrogen or form a hydride, or to undergo an increase in the number of electrons
- v narrow or limit
reduce the influx of foreigners
- v put down by force or intimidation
- v undergo meiosis
The cells reduce
- v reposition (a broken bone after surgery) back to its normal site
- v destress and thus weaken a sound when pronouncing it
- v reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
- v be cooked until very little liquid is left
The sauce should reduce to one cup
- v cook until very little liquid is left
The cook reduced the sauce by boiling it for a long time
- v lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture
- v take off weight
- Everyone agrees that it's necessary to reduce carbon emissions around the world.
- First, they essentially paralyzed the patient with drugs to reduce the demand for oxygen by his muscles, brain, lungs and other organs.
- Reduce your saturated fat and salt.
News & Articles
- Preparing for a wildfire
Reduce the risk of your home and property becoming fuel for a wildfire by following these tips.
July 7, 2013 - The Steamboat Pilot & Today
- Norway threatens to cut Afghan aid
Norway has threatened to reduce aid to Afghanistan, signalling increasing frustration among donor nations over the Kabul government's failure to implement reforms as NATO troops prepare to withdraw.
July 7, 2013 - Fox News
- Deutsche Bank to Reduce Assets as Leverage Rules Tighten
Deutsche Bank AG (DBK) , continental Europe’s biggest bank, will reduce its balance sheet as regulators implement stricter rules on the relation of equity to total assets, Chief Financial Officer Stefan Krause said.
July 6, 2013 - Bloomberg
- David Petraeus in USA Today
Indeed, it may get more intense in the next few months,he said. "As we take away the enemy's safe havens and reduce the enemy's freedom of action, the insurgents will fight back."
- Barack Obama in Expressindia.com
Earlier in the day, President Obama had said: "Reform that brings accountability to our immigration system cannot pass without Republican votes. That is the political and mathematical reality. The only way to reduce the risk that this effort will...
- Jairam Ramesh in TIME
There is simply no case for the pressure that we, who have been among the lowest emitters per capita, face to actually reduce emissions,Ramesh said to Clinton at a conference on climate change in Gurgaon, near New Delhi, on July 19. "And...