lifted : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v raise from a lower to a higher position
- v take hold of something and move it to a different location
- v move upwards
- v move upward
The fog lifted
- v make audible
He lifted a war whoop
- v cancel officially
- v make off with belongings of others
- v raise or haul up with or as if with mechanical help
- v invigorate or heighten
- v raise in rank or condition
The new law lifted many people from poverty
- v take off or away by decreasing
- v rise up
- v pay off (a mortgage)
- v take without referencing from someone else's writing or speech; of intellectual property
- v take illegally
- v fly people or goods to or from places not accessible by other means
Food is airlifted into Bosnia
- v take (root crops) out of the ground
- v call to stop the hunt or to retire, as of hunting dogs
- v rise upward, as from pressure or moisture
- v put an end to
- v remove (hair) by scalping
- v remove from a seedbed or from a nursery
- v remove from a surface
the detective carefully lifted some fingerprints from the table
- v perform cosmetic surgery on someone's face
- s held up in the air
- Her nose has been bobbed, her eyelids lifted, her breasts treated with cell implants.
- But assuming the state of emergency is lifted and Sharif and Bhutto do compete, the big question becomes whether they can work together to try to wrest control of the parliament .
- But the ambition that lifted Rain (real name: Ji Hoon Jung) out of a one-room house in Seoul won't be sated by simply conquering the biggest continent on earth.
News & Articles
- Digital Dome Lifted In Place at Danville Science Center
Danville, VA – The Digital Dome at the Danville Science Center is now in place. Crews lifted the dome and put it on the foundation around 8:00 a.m. Thursday. It took crews about two weeks to construct the frame and some panels, but they did it in a neighboring parking lot.
June 20, 2013 - ABC 13 Lynchburg
- Evacuation order lifted near raging Silver Fire
SILVER CITY — An evacuation order for a historical mining town near a wildfire in southern New Mexico’s Gila National Forest was lifted Thursday as the growing blaze jumped to 57 square miles, officials said.
June 20, 2013 - Santa Fe New Mexican
- Boil order lifted for Sullivan subdivision
SULLIVAN (JG-TC) — A boil order issued for the Elim Springs Park subdivision near Sullivan has been lifted, the Moultrie County Rural Public Water District announced.
June 20, 2013 - Journal Gazette & Times-Courier
- Tom Brokaw in Newsday
Tom Brokaw called Cronkite "a central force in the transformation of this country. All those early [TV news] pioneers lifted a lamp and allowed us to see the world."
- Dana Perino in Guardian Unlimited
President Bush "wants the state of emergency to be lifted," White House press secretary Dana Perino said. "And it is up to President Musharraf. He has the responsibility to help restore democracy."
- Brady Quinn in International Herald Tribune
I felt like the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders,Quinn said. "The love-hate relationship comes from going to Notre Dame. It's like the Yankees, you either love 'em or hate 'em.