- n location near or direction toward the left side; i.e. the side to the north when a person or object faces east
she stood on the left
- n those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare
- n the hand that is on the left side of the body
jab with your left
- n the piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's left
the batter flied out to left
- n a turn toward the side of the body that is on the north when the person is facing east
take a left at the corner
- v go away from a place
- v go and leave behind, either intentionally or by neglect or forgetfulness
She left a mess when she moved out
His good luck finally left him
her husband left her after 20 years of marriage
she wept thinking she had been left behind
- v act or be so as to become in a specified state
The inflation left them penniless
The president's remarks left us speechless
- v leave unchanged or undisturbed or refrain from taking
- v move out of or depart from
the fugitive has left the country
- v make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain
- v have as a result or residue
The water left a mark on the silk dress
Her blood left a stain on the napkin
- v remove oneself from an association with or participation in
The teenager left home
She left her position with the Red Cross
He left the Senate after two terms
- v put into the care or protection of someone
He left the decision to his deputy
- v leave or give by will after one's death
My grandfather left me his entire estate
- v have left or have as a remainder
That left the four of us
- v be survived by after one's death
He left six children
At her death, she left behind her husband and 11 cats
- v transmit (knowledge or skills)
- v leave behind unintentionally
I left my keys inside the car and locked the doors
- a being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the west when facing north
my left hand
left center field
the left bank of a river is bank on your left side when you are facing downstream
- s not used up
she had a little money left over so she went to a movie
some odd dollars left
- s intended for the left hand
I rarely lose a left-hand glove
- a of or belonging to the political or intellectual left
- r toward or on the left; also used figuratively
he looked right and left
the political party has moved left
- More of America is right of center than left of center to start so it is natural that they would react more strongly to the extreme left Which is also why the true left agenda .
- Powell, who in his lifetime of public service never earned more than $30,000 a year, left an estate worth more than $2 million$800,000 of it in bills packed into shoe boxes .
- If I throw anything, play cricket or golf, it's done left-handed, but I write and cut with my right hand.
News & Articles
- Left Hand Brewing buys land for possible expansion
Left Hand Brewing Co. recently paid $660,000 for 2.1 acres of land next to its Boston Avenue brewery, with no immediate plans for the property but a belief that it will be needed in the future.
June 13, 2013 - Denver Post
- Orioles Left Fielder Nate McLouth
Orioles speedy left fielder, Nate McLouth, joined the Norris and Davis show to talk about the Oriole's series with the LA Angels. Nate has enjoyed a great start to the 2013 season, hitting .286 with 39 runs scored while ranking second in the AL with 22 steals.
June 12, 2013 - CBS Baltimore
- Lizard left in car reunites with owner
A rare lizard left inside a car that was reported stolen has been reunited with its owner.
June 12, 2013 - KGTV San Diego
- Barack Obama in San Francisco Chronicle
I take my share of the blame for not explaining it more clearly to the American people,Obama said. "I know that with all the lobbying and horse-trading, the process left most Americans wondering, 'What's in it for me?' "
- David Villa in Xinhua
We're taking it step by step. We've left a very difficult rival behind,said Villa.
- Chris Broad in Sify
I am extremely angry at the Pakistani security forces,Broad told reporters in Manchester Wednesday. "We were promised high level security and in our hour of need that security vanished and they left us to be sitting ducks."