- n an official prohibition or edict against something
- v command against
- v keep from happening or arising; make impossible
- s harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance
a forbidding scowl
- s threatening or foreshadowing evil or tragic developments
- Despite the prison prohibition forbidding for-profit sale of artwork, many of the pieces sold by Ed Mead on his prisonart.
- Elvira Arellano : An Immigrant Who Found Sanctuary A forbidding aura hangs over the ancient right of sanctuary: the rich sacredness of the precincts of the church, the ability of .
- She rides horses to crisscross Tibet's forbidding passes and plateaus.
News & Articles
- Texting and driving law is ineffective due to outdated assumptions
In 2011, Indiana adopted a law forbidding drivers from texting while their vehicle is in motion; but since the law came into effect, it has been largely ineffective in the Lafayette/West Lafayette area.
June 12, 2013 - The Purdue Exponent
- Ill. prosecutor criticized over concealed-carry
An Illinois prosecutor's decision to let citizens immediately start carrying concealed weapons despite a state law forbidding it is drawing fire from several of his colleagues across Illinois.
June 7, 2013 - KWQC-TV 6 Davenport
- Casinos ban gamblers from using Google Glass
Casinos in New Jersey and Nevada are among those forbidding gamblers from wearing Google Glass, the tiny eyeglasses-mounted device capable of shooting photos, filming video and surfing the Internet.
June 7, 2013 - Erie Times-News
- Antonin Scalia in Kansas City Star
Among the laws that might pass constitutional muster, Alito wrote: "Prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or...