- s stubbornly unyielding
- s harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance
a dour, self-sacrificing life
- s showing a brooding ill humor
the proverbially dour New England Puritan
- Throughout much of the 1980s, many loyalists of the Marxist-oriented Sandinista Party suspected that Daniel Ortega Saavedra, their dour leader and the country's President from 1979 .
- Ayatullah Ruhollah Khomeini, the dour cleric who led an Islamic revolution in Iran, perceived himself above all as an avenger of the humiliations that the West had for more than a .
- After her dour 2003 album, American Life, she has migrated back to her safe place, and it's nice to hear her strutting again.
News & Articles
- Iran: Khamenei the real winner in presidential election
TEHRAN, June 13 (UPI) -- With the Revolutionary Guards poised to crash down on any political protests, Iran goes to the polls Friday in a presidential election in which the real winner will be the Islamic Republic's dour supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
June 13, 2013 - UPI
- Crude Oil, Gold Look to US Retail Sales Data for Fed Policy Clues
Crude oil and gold prices are looking to May’s US Retail Sales Report to guide the markets’ expectations of a cutback in the Fed’s QE efforts. Cycle-sensitive crude oil and copper prices are joining in the rout in risky assets that started yesterday on Wall Street and continued overnight in Asia . The dour mood seems to reflect jitters ahead of May’s US Retail Sales report , the first big-ticket ...
June 13, 2013 - Daily FX
- Tonys 2013 Q&A: 'Neil Patrick Harris is the god of awards show'
McNulty, who admits to a "dour mood about this Broadway season," started watching the show Sunday night "without enormous excitement." But soon Neil Patrick Harris and moving speeches from Judith Light and other winners won him over.
June 10, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Brett Ratten in Sydney Morning Herald
When Matthew hurt his knee, Sam pretty much did all the ruckwork, he did 90 per cent, so for him to take that next leap, sometimes players need to be exposed in certain areas,Ratten said. "He's a dour type ruckman but his fitness level is...
- Ken Livingstone in USA Today
You open the newspaper every day and it isn't necessarily filled with a lot of happy news. There's the war, worries about the economy, the election _ the list goes on and on. My reaction is that, when times are dour, you go the opposite with... Michael Kors http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kors&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFmUKt2Sci7mI48mf2u8M3YGZhKSg FOXNews http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Sep13/0,4670,FashionWeekColor,00.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNElOvrNeQMFnR7hlsx6DhfPdl3WRQ Sep 13, 2007
29943 38742 dour When I was in Miami, one of the British journalists came up to me in the dour, sour way that most of the journalists have in Britain," London Mayor Ken Livingstone said. "He said, 'Wouldn't it be humiliating if there are a bunch of empty...