- s not to be placated or appeased or moved by entreaty
- s shockingly repellent; inspiring horror
the grim aftermath of the bombing
the grim task of burying the victims
- s harshly ironic or sinister
a grim joke
- s harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance
a grim man loving duty more than humanity
undoubtedly the grimmest part of him was his iron claw"- J.M.Barrie
- s filled with melancholy and despondency
took a grim view of the economy
- s causing dejection
grim rainy weather
- April was a grim month in Wei Jianzhong's sooty, barracks-like neighborhood in Zhengzhou, the capital of central Henan province.
- At the White House luncheon table one day last week Anna Eleanor Roosevelt Roosevelt faced a plain, rather grim little woman who spoke only Russian.
News & Articles
- Are South Africans Ready for a Future Without Nelson Mandela?
South Africa is confronted with a grim reality this week: Soon, Nelson Mandela will die.
June 11, 2013 - National Journal via Yahoo! News
- 'Man of Steel' review: This grimmer 'Superman' might not soar, but it flies
By Alonso Duralde LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - In 1986, DC Comics published two titles that would forever push the superhero genre toward what has been known as the "grim and gritty" look - Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" (whose tough-guy expressionism inspired both Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan's subsequent screen versions of Batman) and Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' "Watchmen" (which ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Woman wounded in Santa Monica shooting has 'grim prognosis': police chief
SANTA MONICA, California (Reuters) - A woman gravely wounded by gunfire during Friday's shooting rampage in Santa Monica, California, has a "grim prognosis" for recovery, Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks said on Saturday. Five other people, including the gunman, died in the bloodshed that unfolded at about noon on Friday at a house connected to the suspect and culminated with the man being shot ...
June 8, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- President Bush in Christian Science Monitor
Bush said, "In Iraq, we are witnessing the first large-scale Arab uprising against Osama bin Laden, his grim ideology, and his terror network."
- Steven Spielberg in CBS News
While China's representatives have conveyed to me that they are working to end the terrible tragedy in Darfur, the grim realities of the suffering continue unabated,Spielberg said in a statement.
- Rupert Murdoch in The Canberra Times
The result, which compared to a profit of $US832 million the year before, was a "direct reflection of the grim economic climate," Mr Murdoch said. "While we anticipated a weakening, the downturn is more severe and likely longer lasting than...