- n a ventilation shaft through which air enters a mine
- s directed downward
a downcast glance
- s filled with melancholy and despondency
downcast after his defeat
- The huge poster of a vibrant young Betancourt that hung for years on the faade of city hall there was changed last November to a haunting image of a drawn woman with downcast .
- Kaushal says he's just about breaking even, but in another part of the mall, the manager of a shoe store is even more downcast.
- At rehearsal, the singers were tired and downcast.
- Abraham Lincoln in Sauk Prairie Eagle
I'm worried I left people with a very downcast and disturbed feeling,"Lincoln" told the News Republic, staying in character following his speech. "I think the tide is turning. I think we will overcome and be one nation."
- Ian Paisley in Belfast Telegraph
Rev Paisley said: "I understand that he was downcast many a day, understand that he was disappointed, understand he was angry and I understand that, perhaps, he even lost his temper. But I want to say that he treated me with the greatest of...
- Pranab Mukherjee in Hindu
...a conference on 'Financial crisis, global economic governance and development' here, Mr. Mukherjee, who is currently holding additional charge of Finance, said: "As next year's [2009-10] outlook is more downcast...... the Government will...