- n a legal document giving official permission to do something
- n the act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
- n large game fish; found in waters of the West Indies
- v consent to, give permission
She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband
- v make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen
This permits the water to rush in
This will permit the rain to run off
- v allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting
Children are not permitted beyond this point
- They would have to obtain permits for each ton of warming gases chiefly carbon dioxide limited by the cap.
- Unable to receive permits, Fara ultimately dissolved as band members had to go about making a living.
- We shall be able to get these permits for our films in three ways.
News & Articles
- Rumpke receives permit to increase odor neutralizer
Rumpke Sanitary Landfill has received its air permit from the Ohio EPA to increase odor neutralizer use at its Colerain Township site. However, a new pilot study indicates an alternative odor minimizer may offer options.
June 26, 2013 - FOX 19 Cincinnati
- Permit reviewer indicted on bribery
A newly filed indictment alleges a former City of Austin permit reviewer was taking cash payments on the side from people who wanted to rush their applications.
June 25, 2013 - KXAN 36 Austin
- Memphis contemplates burn permit fee for residents
Those applying for a burn permit from the Memphis Fire Department may have to pay a $5 fee in the near future. Officials discussed the possibility of establishing a fee at a recent council meeting. The Memphis Fire Department services the city, plus Richmond, Riley, Columbus and Wales townships.
June 25, 2013 - The Voice
- Gary Coleman in The Associated Press
I direct my personal representative to permit no members of the press to be present at my wake or funeral,Coleman stated.
- David Petraeus in Sioux Falls Argus Leader
At the end of that period, we will commence a process of assessment to examine the conditions on the ground,Petraeus said. "This process will be continuous, with recommendations for further reductions made as conditions permit."
- Morgan Tsvangirai in Forbes
Conditions as of today do not permit the holding of a credible poll,Tsvangirai said. "Given the totality of these circumstances, we believe a credible election is impossible. We can't ask the people to cast their vote on June 27 when that...