raised : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v raise the level or amount of something
- v raise from a lower to a higher position
- v cause to be heard or known; express or utter
- v collect funds for a specific purpose
The President raised several million dollars for his college
- v cultivate by growing, often involving improvements by means of agricultural techniques
- v bring up
- v summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic
- v move upwards
- v construct, build, or erect
- v call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
- v create a disturbance, especially by making a great noise
- v raise in rank or condition
- v increase
- v give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
- v cause to puff up with a leaven
- v bid (one's partner's suit) at a higher level
- v bet more than the previous player
- v cause to assemble or enlist in the military
- v put forward for consideration or discussion
- v pronounce (vowels) by bringing the tongue closer to the roof of the mouth
- v activate or stir up
- v establish radio communications with
- v multiply (a number) by itself a specified number of times: 8 is 2 raised to the power 3
- v bring (a surface or a design) into relief and cause to project
- v invigorate or heighten
- v put an end to
- v cause to become alive again
- a located or moved above the surround or above the normal position
a raised design
- s embellished with a raised pattern created by pressure or embroidery
- s increased in amount or degree
- Amount raised in April: $31.
- The money was raised, but Roberts' dramatic ultimatum provoked widespread derision.
- Even before the recent failed attacks in London and Glasgow, Germany had raised its official terrorism-threat level after August Hanning, the country's top security official .
News & Articles
- Bail raised for man charged in check scam
LEOMINSTER -- Leominster District Court Judge Mark E. Noonan raised bail for accused fraudster John Lima to $500,000 cash or $5 million surety Wednesday.
June 13, 2013 - Sentinel & Enterprise
- WWII plane raised from sea
A World War II German bomber, likely the last of its kind, has been raised from the bottom of the English Channel and will be restored for display in a British museum.
June 13, 2013 - CNN
- KLA-Tencor price target raised to $66 from $60 at Citigroup
Citigroup raised its price target for KLA-Tencor shares on expectations the company will benefit from TSMC's earlier than expected deployment of FinFET. The firm reiterates a Buy rating on the stock.
June 12, 2013 - Theflyonthewall.com via Yahoo! Finance
- Chris Dodd in Washington Post
I expect many serious questions will be raised about the role of the Federal Reserve moving forward, and what authorities it should and should not have,added Dodd, chairman of the Senate Banking Committee.
- Barack Obama in MarketWatch
Throughout my life, I have always taken my deep and abiding love for this country as a given. It was how I was raised; it is what propelled me into public service; it is why I am running for President,Obama said.
- Rowan Williams in AFP
He said the election of Mary Glasspool "raised very serious questions not just for the Episcopal Church and its place in the Anglican Communion, but for the Communion as a whole."